New England Honda Guys
September 24, 2017, 10:44:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing tires on the XR650L  (Read 597 times)
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2015, 08:47:26 AM »

This past Saturday I had set myself an ambitious project - changing the XR650L knobbies (death cornering!) for some more street friendly Avon Trailriders front and back. I had employed the services of Anders to keep me right in technique and in case I couldnt do it  Cool. Plus I was testing out my recently purchased trail stand that is necessary since the XR dosent have a center stand.

Trail stand works as advertised allowing for both front and back wheels to be removed

After many breaks, lots of sweating and muscling on my part and nearly 2 1/2 hrs later...

New tires warming in the sun to make it easier to get them on - it helped a lot!

The front

Trail stand lifting the rear and front

The front wheel required more inflates/deflates to get the tire to seat properly - part of issue was the tires were tubless so tighter sidewalls - eventually we went to the gas station and got it up to 102 psi  Cool

The final result - corners sooooo much better!

Points to note:

1. KTM tire irons are superior to anything I had - which were two long motion pro tire irons and two short ones. The KTM ones have the right ends and it makes it much easier. 3 irons make it easier.
2. Getting the valve back in the rim defeated me this time - looking at getting a valve stem puller to help out here
3. Getting the new tire on was easier in the front. The final bit requires some strength and I discovered that I need more strength  Cool
4. Right now I could probably patch a tube in the wilds but probably couldnt change a tire yet - need more practice!

The CB750K4 sunning itself waiting for a ride

cheers
Andy

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 08:49:54 AM by andy750 » Logged

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 01:34:21 PM »

Nice work.  Changing tires with tire irons is a bastard.  Tried it once, that was enough.

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 01:45:56 PM »

Yes its tough. My arms are rather tired this morning. I rode the bike to work this morning - brraaap! Was a lot of fun and wow what a difference on the corners. Was going a fair clip on I-95 (at 7am  Cool) and bike held stable - though obviously not as planted as the VStrom. Not sure Id want to do it for extended hours at that speed though.

CB810K2 road racer
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:13:04 AM »

The real test will be to take it on some dirt now.  See if the street tires are capable.

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 02:37:29 PM »

Very true. These Trailriders have some deep grooves so I think they will have decent traction. For my kind of trails (fire roads, trails etc) I think they should be fine.

CB810K2 road racer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: