New England Honda Guys
September 21, 2017, 03:17:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Southern Maine tour  (Read 518 times)
UnCrash

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2010, 09:28:13 AM »

For Father's day my wife and kids gave me the best present which I used this past Saturday.A day off to go ride.  With a 2 and 4 year old boys, our hands are pretty full at home so this was a rare opportunity.

I set off at 8 am and rode out of Portland to Bethel & the White Mountains.  It was a brisk ride and I was a little under dressed, but the cold was bearable.

Here's the overall route -----> http://bit.ly/8XiHRV

I stopped in Naples to thaw my fingers and grab an obligatory picture.  I think Andy took a picture of his CB750 from this spot not long ago.

Then up to Bethel on bumpy but reasonable and at times roller-coaster of a road -- RT 35.  I headed East from there, making my way over to 219 which they recently repaved and rebuilt a bunch of.

Through Augusta then up to Albion where my mother and step father bought a log yard last year.  The oak was piled high along the edge of one of the yard areas.  It seems that the Chinese can't get enough of Maine's veneer grade oak.  First time I had a chance to see it:

I know the area around there relatively well and set off on some un-striped roads I didn't know heading east to Belfast.   This mid-coast area of Maine really has some wonderful riding.  On Saturday morning I seemed to have the road almost entirely to myself.

In Belfast I hung out with a good friend trying to get his '51 Velocette going.  Really cool old bike.  Water-cooled 4 stroke 200cc bike.  It's like this one but in black

We didn't have success before his battery ran out and needed a charge.  No power to the plugs, but power to headlight and the ignition switch.  The thing is positively grounded too....

We shot some pool in his billiard room, with some fresh Molson Canadian.

Home before 8:00pm with 300miles behind me.

Where there's a will there's a way
frostypuck
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:46:20 AM »

I stopped in Naples to thaw my fingers and grab an obligatory picture.  I think Andy took a picture of his CB750 from this spot not long ago.

Yup, that's his oil spot on the ground.

Dissension based upon morality is how this country came to be.
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 09:47:55 AM »

Hahaha my bikes dont leak oil (much) Wink. Great ride report Ben and good photos! Yeah it was a little chilly this weekend but glad to see you getting out. Thats a very nice ride.

cheers
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:57:50 AM »

Great ride and report. Congrats, that IS a good F'day present!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: