New England Honda Guys
June 24, 2017, 01:19:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston area guitar players, where are the good guitar stores?  (Read 628 times)
JBMorse

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:57:43 AM »

Hey guys,
Over the next year or so I'm going to be saving up for my next guitar, a fine American made archtop.  I play in a big band and the occasional jazz combo as well as solo jazz gigs.  My current axe is a '95 Les Paul Studio, which I love to death and has serve me quite well over the years.  But I want to move up to a proper archtop so I can achieve those amazing sounds that players like Kenny Burrell, Wes Montgomery, Bucky Pizzarelli and the like.  I play a lot of Freddie Green style rhythm, but would like to play nice Bucky style chord solos and Wes Montgomery octave solos.  The Les Paul sustains too much to do these things properly, though I must say it gets very close.  It's harder to deal with in the big band setting, in smaller groups it works just fine. 
I want to keep the budget to $2500, which from what I've observed online can get me something like a Heritage Eagle, Gibson ES165, or a Martin CF1 (a limited archtop I got to try once, made by Dale Unger).
So what guitar stores in your area carry higher end instruments?  I am looking for a place where I can sit down and try a few archtops to compare styles.  I want to feel and hear the differences between solid, carved top guitars with floating humbuckers (Gibson L5 or the Heritage Eagle), laminate top (ES175, ES165, Guild X-170) and maybe others too. 
I really dont want an Asian copy of an archtop.  I feel strongly about getting an American made guitar.  I have outgrown Asian copies of guitars (my Celebrity Ovation I had as a teenager was a real piece of sh$t compared to my American Ovation). 
I know most stores probably won't have all of these kinds of guitars, but I'd like to start trying out some different models so I can get a clearer idea of what I want.  I was told to check out the Guitar Center in downtown Boston, but I know there must be other places to try too!

mick750F
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 12:55:11 PM »

I'm not a player but I've heard about Daddy's Junky Music, they are scattered around the area.   

http://www.daddys.com/local/stores/stores-list.php?storeState=MA

Mike
Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 02:05:06 PM »

I'm no musician either, but I understand Jason http://nehondaguys.info/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=136 picks up some hours at Guitar Center in Nashua...
Tax free up there, and if they don't deal high end instruments he may be able to connect you with someplace better. Might be worth an email.
Alan
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »

Call Craig Jones at Baystate guitars 617 267 6077. He has a lot of high end archtops including my super 400. He may also have something in your price range. You could also try the Music Emporium in Arlington.
JBMorse

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 10:28:08 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys!  Daddys tends to have lower end stuff in stock, but they have an online inventory so I can keep an eye on what comes in.  Same with Guitar Center.
I knew about Bay State Vintage Guitar but have never been there.  They're listed as a Heritage dealer, but they don't have a website so I definitely need to pay them a visit!  I'd never even heard of Music Emporium, looks like they've got some great stuff going through there. 
So you have a Super 400, Ben?  That's awesome!  Do you still have both your kidneys?  Seriously though those are beautiful looking guitars, at least in pictures as I've never seen one. 
I'll take a trip to Boston one of these cold days off and check out your stores. I'm in NH and we don't have many stores period, never mind ones that would carry nice archtops.  It's great to find out about these little places that don't do high volume sales but rather specialize in something. 
Thanks for helping with the search guys!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: