New England Honda Guys
October 18, 2017, 04:24:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone around these parts done a dual-disc 750k front end?  (Read 2571 times)
jay_m1
« on: March 25, 2011, 02:16:34 PM »

I'd like to undertake this on my bike. I know there's tons of info out there on how to do this, but I've never really done much work with disc breaks, aside from servicing my own, so somehow info that should be easily absorbable is just not getting through to me. I considered doing a GL1000 front end swap, but I don't really like the way that looks. In any event, I am still in the planning/acquiring parts phase (trying to figure out which caliper to use). I have a 76 750k.

If anyone has any sage advice, or even better, if anyone might be available a little on down the road to stop by my garage and give me some pointers (I have a fully functioning lift and all necessary tools, which makes thing easier), i would be indebted.

Anyone?
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 02:38:54 PM »

Not me Jay but Id be interested in the process. I see rangelov on the forum is selling the correct speedo spacer to allow you to do this.  If you get a second caliper, a larger master cylinder (goldwing one for example) and some stainless steel lines you will be good to go. However on both my K2 and K4 I found that simply upgrading the old rubber lines to stainless ones and having a working master cylinder really improves breaking. My K2 is especially good (for its age).

The F2 had dual front disks but not sure how or if they would fit early K forks.

Good luck
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
jay_m1
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 03:22:12 PM »

i also upgraded to steel lines and rebuilt the master cylinder last fall. it was definitely and upgrade in the feel of the brakes, but doesnt seem like a massive improvement in overall stopping ability.

since everything needs to be lined up perfectly, and since i've never done this before and thus have no point of reference, i can just tell i'm going to be wading around for hours and hours and hours through trial and error and a sea of details that i dont entirely udnerstand.
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 06:59:44 PM »

I hear beer helps in situations like that

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »

I haven't done it either but if you click on the link in my signature line (here or on sohc4 not sure if i link it here) its my fork swaps and info page.... anyway there is a pretty good article about making this swap and is pretty easy to follow. i can mill the rotor carrier to clear the speedometer drive if needed.
mick750F
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:32:46 PM »

The GL swap is supposed to be pretty much idiot proof, which is why I've never done it...oh, hold on, I've already got dual discs.  Wink Grin Grin What is it about it the "looks" that you don't like? Doesn't it pretty much look like dual disc brakes with a spoked wheel...which is simply one more disc than you're running now? Or are you looking for something more "sporty" and "newer" looking? Something else? Almost anything you might consider doing to these bikes is covered, sometimes beyond belief, on the sohc4 site. I'd poke around there for info because even though we're a great bunch of Honda people here there aren't that many of us and this forum is a lot more of a social nature than a tech nature. It's pretty much a spin-off from the sohc4 site to enable us to keep in touch locally for events and rides, etc. and to poke each other with sticks.

FWIW, the F2/3 front end is a direct fit to your bike but then you'd be running Comstar wheels...oh the horror!!! Shocked Shocked Said the F3 guy.

Anywhodinky...welcome to the show jay, we're here to overwhelm you with brotherly love and abuse. Well, Andy is anyway...the brotherly love part I mean, not that there's anything wrong with that.  Wink Cheesy Cheesy The rest of us, okay I'll include Andy too Tongue , are here to enjoy our bikes, where they might take us and the road it takes to get us there.

Pssst. Hey, watch out for Ben(azure) too. He's nearly as despicable as I am.

Mike
jay_m1
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 12:01:27 AM »

Hah, hey Mike. I don't dislike anything about the GL route. I think that it mostly looks great, save for the fact that the fork length seems to be ever-so-slightly higher, which I think looks a little un-tidy, and also like it might actually change the whole geometry of the bike, from the perspective of sitting and steering.

In any event, I have to continue gathering info on this. I definitely read the main site often, I was just hoping someone around here had actually done this mod so I could check it out. In the mean time I have to tear down my existing caliper, again, to clean it out, again, in order to try to make the humiliating and excruciating non-braking squeal go away (again).
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 12:05:39 PM »

Well if your goal is just 'that look' you can probably go through a ton of trouble adding a second rotor and caliper, and making them work only to realize that you haven't increased your braking....only added weight to the front end of your bike. there is a sohc4 member...Fishhead i think, who has designed a few adaptations of modern dual front brakes that will fit your forks directly. his website is www.brakesbyfishhead.com or something similar. maybe they'll have the look you're after AND perform well?
jay_m1
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 01:10:04 PM »

oh, dont misunderstand. im not looking for any look in particular. i just want to improve braking. the reason im hesitant about the GL is that the forks are actually longer, and the tubes will protrude an inch or two out from the top of the triple tree, which i think is going to make it difficult to mount my current handlebars and controls. i'm still mulling that option, too, though. but definitely the main reason i'm even thinking about this is to improve braking.
frostypuck
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 03:12:06 PM »

So- voice of experience here. You can swap the forks from a GL, however, you need different upper and lower triple trees. The diameter of the upper GL tubes is a bit bigger. So essentially, you need both the forks, wheel, disks, calipers, speedo drive, master cylinder, hoses, and upper/lower tree with stem.
Then its a direct swap. And you get to replace your steering head bearings at the same time!
They dont stick that far out of the tubes-maybe a 1/2" higher up in the trees.
I thought at one time it would be possible to just swap the GL lowers and keep the CB upper tubes, but no go.
There is almost no braking benefit to a dual disk swap, its mainly esthetics. Meaning you're not going to stop twice as quickly with two ancient 40 year-old technology calipers. If you are looking for improved braking, a CB is not the place to try and do it, in my opinion.
Good luck any way-
Chris
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:13:56 PM by frostypuck » Logged

Dissension based upon morality is how this country came to be.
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »

Meaning you're not going to stop twice as quickly with two ancient 40 year-old technology calipers. If you are looking for improved braking, a CB is not the place to try and do it, in my opinion.

Heretic!! Heretic!! Burn him at the stake!!!  Grin Grin Grin

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
frostypuck
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 06:37:47 PM »

You may try and burn me at the stake, however, I'll just jam on my brakes, coming to a quick, controlled stop and watch you CB riders squeeeel on past me Wily E. Coyote style.

Dissension based upon morality is how this country came to be.
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 09:48:07 PM »

FWIW, I have all the GL stuff for the front end swap, but have resisted doing it because the dual setup is so much heavier. Also, all you're gaining is 2mm more in tube diameter for a big increase in unsprung weight. The handle bar clamps in the GL upper triple tree are also higher than the CB's position, machinable but a bit of a pain. I've also considering graffting a modern front end. I've hesitated in this direction due to going to cast 17" wheels. I guess adapters could be fabbed to raise the rotors and use a 19", but...

Funny, when Phil(phactoryPhil) started building his Rickman, I asked him where in the heck he was going to find fork seals for the front end. Turns out they're the same size(41mm) as Harley seals.

In the end, I'll be happy to live with the single disc and take a different bike if I want to scare myself.
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 09:53:16 PM »

Well there goes my desire to run a second disk, thanks guys   Tongue

Jay, not sure if you have done this yet, but this is what cured my squealing problem.  I replaced the rubber ring that's inside the caliper body, the one that encircles the piston.  I also cleaned that area really well before I put the new one in.  There was a ton of crusty crap in there that I had to use a pick to get out.

Since then, I only get minor squealing when I grab a fist full of brake. 

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 10:15:59 PM »

Full front end swap, best way if you're into curing all in one step. stay tuned for my K3 with 90's cb750 front end....and Connito's K1 with ZG1000 goodies up front.....  coming spring 2012....
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: