New England Honda Guys
September 20, 2017, 12:39:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone around these parts done a dual-disc 750k front end?  (Read 2486 times)
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 10:24:07 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
phactory

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 10:56:43 AM »

Ben,

True story!! The 41mm forks on the Rickman equate directly to an American size fork seal from a Harley. So does that make me cool now that I have Harley parts on my Rickman?

FWIW, I would not put a dual front disc front end on my K1, but I am seriously considering it for my 750 Sport!

Phil

FWIW, I have all the GL stuff for the front end swap, but have resisted doing it because the dual setup is so much heavier. Also, all you're gaining is 2mm more in tube diameter for a big increase in unsprung weight. The handle bar clamps in the GL upper triple tree are also higher than the CB's position, machinable but a bit of a pain. I've also considering graffting a modern front end. I've hesitated in this direction due to going to cast 17" wheels. I guess adapters could be fabbed to raise the rotors and use a 19", but...

Funny, when Phil(phactoryPhil) started building his Rickman, I asked him where in the heck he was going to find fork seals for the front end. Turns out they're the same size(41mm) as Harley seals.

In the end, I'll be happy to live with the single disc and take a different bike if I want to scare myself.

"There are only two true sports: bullfighting and auto racing. The rest are simply games," Ernest Hemingway

1971 CB750K1
1973 CB750K3
1976 CB550F1

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 11:41:06 PM »

Phil is the disc on the Rickman smaller in diameter than the stock cb disc? If so, the caliper(Brembo on there or is that a Lockheed?) needs to work harder to stop the bike, doesn't it?
phactory

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 07:24:08 AM »

Ben,

I haven't measured the disc yet but I will try to in the next couple of days. The Rickman has a Lockheed 2 piston caliper and the rotor is Cast Iron, so stopping should be significantly better than the stock Honda setup, but we have have to wait and see for the true test.

I was also lucky enough to be able to use the Lockheed front Master Cylinder off of my 1973 750 Sport. When I got that bike, I also got all of the original Scarab brakes and I am going to rebuild that stuff and reuse it on the Sport.

Thanks, Phil

"There are only two true sports: bullfighting and auto racing. The rest are simply games," Ernest Hemingway

1971 CB750K1
1973 CB750K3
1976 CB550F1

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: