New England Honda Guys
May 23, 2017, 01:07:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting to get interesting  (Read 2816 times)
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:03:02 AM »

I wired up my ignition yesterday and only have 3 things(I think) left to do before seeing if the beast will run. I have to tap the carb intake boots for vacuum ports so that I can synch the muthas, as the CR carbs don't have vacuum ports on the carb bodies like the original Keihin carbs do. I have to fab a mount to hold my carbs up, and I have to run the oil cooler hoses to the cooler I mounted.
We'll see whether adversity dampens my initiative(it's only taken me close to 2 years to get to this point), but I thought aside from relating that I'm more psyched to get this lump o'metal moving, maybe my tale might motivate some of you guys to also finish up your steeds. Perhaps we could have a group ride of cbs at some point like we had a few years back?
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:27:45 AM »

Great news Ben!!! I cant wait to see this bike run so please continue with the excellent progress. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you - you deserve a win after all this time!

Let me know if I can help.
Good luck
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »

Good news indeed Ben.
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:44:23 PM »

Which bike would this be?  I think I am out of the loop. Cry

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:24:20 PM »

That's my 750 which started life with me as a brown k3 with 9k miles, a 16" rear wheel, smaller alloy turn signals and a tail light off an RD350. I found it had been crashed head on at some point hard enough to distort the steering stem at the lower triple tree, and as well to break the lower case at the oil filler. The case had been welded, but poorly. The tank while original had one of the poorer cream coats I had ever seen, and I switched out the tank for a k5 that was completely clean inside. The top end gaskets were originally replaced as it was leaking when I got it, and a longer duration cam was used. Additionally some head porting was done, and the original carbs were rejetted. I replaced the original exhaust system with an OEM K0-1 set from Honda. It however started leaking again after 1100 miles and was fouling plugs. Top end taken apart again, additional porting done, some wear noted on the cam followers due to heavier valve springs used on first go round, followers hard welded. Some decking done to the head to make sure it was true. Put back together, no oil getting to one side of the valve train, catastrophic failure of cam, towers, followers with many tiny pieces of metal throughout after less than 100 miles.
In round three, we started with a new set of k7 or 8 cases, lightened and balanced crank, big boy rods, undercut and polished transmission, impressive and expensive heavy duty flat plate primary chains and new tensioner with added preload, M3 cam chain tensioner and Tsubaki cam chain, new later block with the 4 oil feeds to the head instead of the earlier 2. More porting, larger intake  valves,new guides, Ti keepers, hard welded followers, bored to 836, so new pistons etc. Both head and top of cylinder decked to make sure mating surfaces would be flush. Compression ration probably close to 12.5:1. All new hardware with heavier stud nuts for extra head torque, CR carbs, Dyna 2000 ignition. I'm sure there's more, but basically a lot of elbow grease, money and time. If it gets to running well, I still have a laundry list of chassis and trim things to do, but for now the object is to see if it'll run well and reliably. If not, I'm going to go in a different direction, but I've become kind of fond of the old girl, and I'm hoping she'll be a runner!
A long winded answer for a short innocent question!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:28:03 PM by azure » Logged
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:36:10 PM »

This is the only photo I could find of my bike just before it croaked in spring 2009.
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 01:10:02 AM »

Wow thanks for the explanation Ben.  Sounds like round three is for all the marbles.  Andy watch out!  Sounds like you might have a little competition for fastest sohc in the greater Boston area in the near future Wink. Now I can't wait for the first video of it running!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 01:13:18 AM by knowsnothing » Logged

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:03:31 AM »

I really don't want to be competitive with Andy, because it will be painful when he starts to tell me that I have 100lbs on him. Grin Grin
We'll see what this go round does on the dyno if we can get it there.
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »

I really don't want to be competitive with Andy, because it will be painful when he starts to tell me that I have 100lbs on him. Grin Grin
We'll see what this go round does on the dyno if we can get it there.

Cheeky Ben! Wink I would never claim that my bike would be faster than your hot rod as I know whats in the engine!! Its going to be super fast which is why I am eager to see it run - so hurry up!! Wink

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 02:31:47 PM »

I'd like to hurry up. Can you cover the 40 jillion patients I have to see next week so I can work on my ancient and somewhat honorable motorcycle? Besides which, for each hour I spend working on my bike, 45-50 minutes is spent looking at the bike and thinking about what I have to do. Don't ask me where the rest of the hour goes, I'm not sure. Work of dubious quality takes time you know.
jay_m1
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 03:26:13 PM »

"for each hour I spend working on my bike, 45-50 minutes is spent looking at the bike and thinking about what I have to do. Don't ask me where the rest of the hour goes, I'm not sure. Work of dubious quality takes time you know."

this is exactly how i go about nearly every single aspect of my life, including motorcycle maintenance. if its any consolation, though, i have made it my lifes work to lighten the work load of the dental profession in general by simply never going. if only you had more patients like me.
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 04:56:44 PM »

There are some folks who have the good genes to sneak through life without having to succumb to the torture that's called dental care. While they are few and far between, I hope you are one Jay!

Curiously, I tend to work fairly quickly in my profession, probably because after 30 years, I've already thought through many of the scenarios I'm confronted with. Funnier is the fact that I've been working on bikes for more than 40 years now, and still need the pause and reflection. I'm not sure which approach is better, but hopefully I'm a better dentist than mechanic!
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 09:38:57 PM »

Great news Ben! I am anxious to see it run as well, although it will not be really original :Smiley And that tail light is certainly not Honda!  Cool :Smiley Tongue

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 10:40:23 PM »

I have never liked the stock Honda tail light, and have a collection of alloy Brit ones. The one on my bike now is a Harley knock off. I fabbed the plate bracket. I'm not into having a correct or totally original bike. I'd like to keep the elements that I found important style wise, I've always loved the valve cover and the 4 exhaust pipes. Like a lot of other folks, I like the look of the Brit bikes from the era although having worked on Brit bikes during the 70's, I much prefer the Asian technology and function.
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 11:08:33 PM »

Ben, you know I was kidding right? I will be replacing the whole front, plus the swing arm and the rear wheel. Not to mention the seat, rear fender etc.  Talking about original....  :Smiley

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: