New England Honda Guys
August 23, 2017, 05:26:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: What a great weekend for riding!  (Read 2951 times)
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2011, 07:34:47 AM »

I hope everyone got out for a ride this weekend.

For me;
Saturday - took the K2 to see MikeR on Saturday morning to confirm my carb balance was good and he tweaked the air/fuel screws  - not a whole lot as the plugs were all "perfect" colour. Must have been the high speed run up the Mass pike getting to his place. Nice powerband at 5000 rpm. Dyno run tentatively scheduled for 23rd April at Harrys Machine shop Rt 9. This guy knows what he is doing! Rode back from Ashland back down the Mass Pike and went to work early afternoon. Around 3pm I finished and called Ben - he was free so blasted down Rt128 passing a huge accident/tail back for miles going North bound - saw a few bikes trapped in the traffic jam as well..they didnt look too happy Undecided. Met up with David on his K4 at Rt 109 and we took South Street route to Bens place.

Saw Bens hot rod and its very near completion - looking very good! Its going to be a fast bike!

Got back to my place around 5pm and David wanted to fix his squeaky front brake. I knew Jay had the same issue so called him and he was posing on Newbury St Wink. He pulled himself away from the eye candy and came to do the same but his front caliper bolts were stuck  Embarrassed. Solution for squeaky front brake - Dow Corning Silicon Wink. David also took my spare wheel (thanks Peter) with brand new tire (the classic K70 Dunlop, mounted by me last year) and replaced his worn out tire = no more headshake. However his squeaky front brake had returned after a Sunday ride so more investigation is required there.

Sunday:
Got up at 6.30am (that was hard on a Sunday), left the house at 7am and braved the Spring chill air and headed to meet Chris in Norwood on the mighty K4. It was a great ride down to Norwood - no traffic!! Went via Rt 109 and had a nice blast over Rt 128. The K4 has such smooth power delivery - so different from the K2s hooligan manners. Chris had some hot coffee waiting - very welcome as it was sub-40s and I had dressed for upper 50s Wink. I got to see his Yuppie Jeep and was surprised at how cool it looked with its rustic jungle/mountain desert crossing patina. Looks very cool and he has done a good job fixing it up. We rode down to Wrentham to pick up two more riders on cruisers and all headed down to the RI/MA line to a local diner for breakfast. I had to be home by 10am so post-breakfast it was onto I-95 and still with no traffic made a good run back home. Bike was running like a top!

So not much time on Sunday for a long ride but it was good enough and you have to fit it in where you can Wink.

Monday: rode to work on the VStrom - no traffic!! Looking forward to that downpour later so I can test how waterproof the new TCX boots are Wink

A very satisfying biking weekend!

Cheers
Andy

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:47:26 AM by andy750 » Logged

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
jay_m1
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:15:50 AM »

Andy, this was indeed a great riding weekend. Thanks for your help. As to "posing" on Newbury Street--I will address this effrontery in a moment.

On Saturday morning I took my girlfriend on her first ever motorcycle ride, going doubles on a short ride through the Allandale/Brookline area. It was already warm enough not to need 5 layers of clothing by 10:30 or so. Once back from the relatively short trip I returned to my garage to clean up my little Sabre and to do some battery maintenance* on my 750, which is still having inexplicable overcharing/undercharging issues, despite my tweaking the regulator.

Later that day I drove out to Cambridge and met my friend and his girlfriend riding their T500. We went out for a leisurely ride up 16, the  Revere Beach Parkway, and points north. We stopped at the beach on Nahant for a while where the rocks were warm enough, while sitting on them, to counteract the stiff sea breeze, then headed back out on the road. After we returned we stopped off at the Other Side Cafe (which is NOT technically Newbury Street), which is when Andy called, and I then went over to observe the brake job. I was able to get my caliper off at home with some heat and a 3-foot pry bar. Finally I can ride in silence!

Sunday I rode out to drop the silicone off at Andy's then headed out through Roslindale and Hyde Park, through the Blue Hills then down 95 into Sharon, and back up 128 to Rt 9 before heading home, at which point I was caught in traffic after an SUV had apparently just swerved into a giant cement lamp post on the median, bringing it down and blocking lanes on both sides of the road. Just after Andy's I sadly began to hear a bit of an occasional squeak, so after my ride I popped my wheel off and switched in the new/used rotor that I just had cross-drilled by Thomas from the main SOHC4 board. He had already cleaned/de-glazed it, and with that installed, no more squeal. And I think the hole pattern he drilled looks nice too. I also was convinced by Andy to order the ridiculously expensive silver/black tank trim. Should be in this week.

*While refilling a couple cells in my battery, I spilled some acid on the driveway at my garage. Then I proceeded to sit in the small puddle while cleaning another bike. Not noticing anything wrong, I later suited up and went out riding with my aforementioned friends, went to the Other Side, etc. Only after coming home at around 8 and feeling a strange sensation while sitting on my couch did I realize the battery acid had eaten a baseball-sized hole THROUGH the seat of my jeans and, worst of all, through my underwear. Thus I spent the whole day in this embarrassing and immodest state, in many public settings. My friend, after the fact, said he didn't have the heart to tell me. Somehow I didn't get any skin burn, which I suppose is a positive thing.

jay_m1
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:27:23 AM »

This wardrobe tragedy reminds me that I need to get a proper pair of riding pants. Any advice as to where the best place around here to go to try on a nice selection might be? Or, any actual recommendation on specific pants? I'd like something reasonably versatile in terms of year-round riding with good armor protection. Undecided on whether I want something to go over street clothes or not. It's be nice if they didn't make me look and feel like an astronaut, but the safety aspect is more critical than aesthetics. I can allot up to/around $300 right now--maybe a little more if it's merited.
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:09 AM »

Hey Jay

Good weekend report and I laughed at the battery acid part Wink. Get an AGM battery and not only will your bike run better your wardrobe will thank you for it - reminds me of the old antiperspirant solutions that were pure Alu3+/Cl- - great for stopping you sweating but would eat up clothes as well  Grin.

Anyway....brake rotor looks very good! And glad to hear you have gone for the tank trim - you will be amazed at the difference! Its like an American guy wearing a baggy t-shirt and baseball cap versus an Italian guy in a suit Wink  Grin

Riding trousers - I am biased towards RevIt - I got the Factory trousers for under $200 -they come with a thermal liner and a waterproof liner and decent armor. And they come in tall sizes which is good for me. I wear them all year round and particularly good in cold weather. Bought from Revzilla.com.

http://www.revzilla.com/textile-motorcycle-pants#v2-facets[]=156&page=1&page_size=96&sort=featured

If I was feeling rich Id buy these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-sand-pants

I like the thigh cargo pockets - very handy!

Tried them on at MotoMkt in Acton. MotoMkt has a good selection of trousers and a small changing room so go there. Of course I also have my custom-made leather trousers (since 2002) and these are great for Spring and Fall - bit hot for summer.

Good luck
Andy
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:33:24 AM by andy750 » Logged

CB810K2 road racer
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:28:26 AM »

I am jealous!  Angry Angry 

This whole weekend i spent running around trying to find a sealed AGM battery.  Local auto store, no luck just conventionals.  Local motorcycle shop, same deal.  I even went to sears and failed.  They too only had conventional ones in the proper size.   I finally made the trip all the way down to Foxboro to check out the Bass Pro Shop where i thought i had hit pay dirt with:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Power-Series&153;-12Volt-ATV-Batteries/product/58334/-1122561

But it turns out the damn battery is about a half inch too long and won't fit in the battery box even though their catalog says that is the correct battery for the bike.  Now i have to drive 20 mins back and return the SOB.... Angry Angry Angry Angry

I am getting very close to the point of punching stuff.....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:39:57 AM by knowsnothing » Logged

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:35:25 AM »

Oh dear Treeve.....

Ill check tonight in Advanced Auto in Roslindale - I usually get mine there..Ill call you around 7pm and if they have one I can buy it for you and meet you mid-week...you really have to get those carbs balanced and get riding!! Wink

CB810K2 road racer
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:44:06 AM »

Thanks Andy.  I hope you have better luck than me!

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:30:09 AM »

Mike R has access to gel batteries. If you want, PM him.
UnCrash

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »

I moved the 919 in the garage  (does that count?)... to put the snowblower into the far corner where it deserves to live for the next 9 months.

On another note, I did check out 30 acres of never developed land I'm contemplating buying and building on.

The good news about that is I'm figuring in a good size bulldozer into the purchase cost so I can build the road in, create some farmable acres, and pull some of the large hemlock out of the woods to cut for posts and beams for the timberframe of the house.

Where there's a will there's a way
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 03:51:18 PM »

Nice Ben, good luck on the property purchase, sounds like a major undertaking!
Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 09:08:03 PM »

That does sound good Ben, will you be inviting us up to lend a hand? Where'd i put my 'will work for beer' sign..... Grin
UnCrash

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 09:11:20 AM »

Hey, when it comes time to raise the structure I'll take all the help I can get. 

Will supply ample amounts of fresh Maine microbrew.

Where there's a will there's a way
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 10:11:11 AM »

Mike R has access to gel batteries. If you want, PM him.

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the tip.  Good news, Andy actually hooked me up last night and found one at his local Auto Parts.  Thanks again Andy!  Bad news, its something more than the battery....le sigh

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 10:55:45 AM »

What's the symptoms Treeve?
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 11:32:52 AM »

Hey Ben,

It started as loss of starter function and the bike would die intermittently.  I checked and it is charging when revving (so reg/rec is ok i think) and the battery was low, so I assumed the battery was on its way out.  I also figured the starter solenoid was bad because when i pressed the button, i didn't get any spinning but the head light went out which i figured meant the button was working.   Please correct me if i got anything wrong.

Since then, I have replaced the battery and swapped out the solenoid with another (that i don't know for sure works).  Now when i turn on the bike, i get no lights of any kind, no horn, no dummy lights, no starter.  I checked the 15a fuse, there is current going across it (same level as when i check the battery, 12.6V).  I checked across the solenoid, it also has 12.6V.  I did the screw driver trick and the starter turned and i got a lovely light show  Wink.   That was as far as i got before i gave up last night.

To me this means:

1 - the ignition switch is working since i am getting power places (right?). 
2 - the starter itself works since it spun
3 - the solenoid is still questionable.
4 - I have something loose or fried that is preventing the bike from working. 

Again correct me if i am wrong and let me know if you have any insights.  I am going to go over the wiring diagram again tonight to see if i missed anything.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: