New England Honda Guys
September 20, 2017, 12:19:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: My CB175  (Read 13010 times)
Connito

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2011, 02:41:38 PM »

As most of you know on my way back from Rice-O-Rama my CB175 started running on one cylinder. My friend Evo, who was riding me Concours trying to catch up with the 175 Wink, said that in the morning there was a bit of smoke coming from the exhaust when I was shifting. On the way back was worst and then it started smoking all the time, not only when I was shifting. As he was trying to speed up to let me know, the "little engine that could" put out a big bowl of smoke and the cylinder died. I was able to ride it on one cylinder to the next gas station, which was over a mile away. It felt like it was 100 miles away!!! Anyway, as we were having coffee and cigars trying to asses the situation and make a decision how to get home, two very nice guys came up to me asking me about the bike. What year it is, how does it run etc. Well, I told them that was running very well up until 30 minutes ago Shocked To make a long story short, one of them (Dave) offered to put the bike in his garage. 1/2 mile down the road! We did and then Evo and I rode home two up on my Concours. This past Sunday I went back to Holden, MA and picked up my CB175. Last night I did a compression test and there is 0 PSI in that cylinder :Smiley Obviously the engine is coming out and I have a nice winter project. I will update here when there is something to update.  

Peter
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 02:46:22 PM by Connito » Logged

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 03:31:50 PM »

Sweet, let the tear down begin!  Let me know if you need company to watch you work, make smart-ass comments, and drink your beer while you undertake said winter project Wink

Seriously though, best of luck and take a lot of photos to share.  It sounds like it may shape up to be an interesting winter project.  Also, can i borrow your compression tester? Grin

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 04:54:59 PM »

You are welcome to come by and watch me work, make smart-ass comments, and drink my beer at any time. I am used to it - I have Andy as a neighbour  Wink

If you are bored to death on Saturday you can come by to borrow my compression tester. In the morning I will stop by Phil to get that CB750 stand and then my plan is to start disassembling the bike.
I wouldn't be able to work on Sunday as I am going to the inner islands with the family, so rain or no rain, I will be working on Saturday.

I will email you my address.

Cheers,
Peter

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 05:01:17 PM »

Sweet, I will let you know.  I have a wedding Sat. but i don't think until later.  I will let you know one way or the other.

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 05:42:33 PM »

Peter, On the 175 can you remove the top end of the engine with the engine in the frame? It might be a bit easier if the valve cover and head can come off that way. What do you think the 175 engine weighs? Shouldn't be too bad I think.
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 07:26:23 PM »

I would remove the engine actually. It must very light and it is small, so I can put it on my desk in the basement. I am not sure what is wrong with it for sure and by removing it I will have the opportunity to make sure that everything is done correctly. I intend to keep the bike for a very long time so sooner or later I would have had to remove the engine. Now is as good as ever.

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 06:06:07 AM »

Take photos of Silva and Eric removing the engine for you Peter, it's too small and light for you! Probably good to take photos as a guide to reassembly as well should you have to ask questions,no?

Ben à France
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 07:44:22 AM »

Ben, you are in France already! Hope you have fun and get to do everything you planned!

This is my first motorcycle project, so it will be long, interesting and learning process. Thankfully, there are very knowledgeable guys here who would be able to guide me in the right direction. I will certainly take pictures along the way.

I might have Silva take out the engine while Eric and I take pictures from different angles Wink

Bonne journee,
Peter

S-Dog
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 08:00:43 AM »

I might have Silva take out the engine while Eric and I take pictures from different angles Wink

Hahaha

1981 Honda GL500 Silverwing

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »

Hahaha

Any other response to that comment would be out of line, I agree with Scott!
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 10:32:04 AM »

Hahaha

Any other response to that comment would be out of line, I agree with Scott!

Hahaha

andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 07:05:33 PM »

.... In the morning I will stop by Phil to get that CB750 stand and then my plan is to start disassembling the bike....

I dont think the CB750 stand will take your CB175 engine but I guess with a hammer and some force anything is possible  Grin Cheesy

...this smart-ass comment coming all the way from sunny Nagoya  Wink

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 07:17:44 PM »

You are up early! It's Saturday, you should sleep in Wink

What smart-ass comment? I was seriously intending to mount the 175 engine to the 750 stand. It might work :Smiley

一日楽しむ,
ピーター

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 08:20:56 PM »

Good luck, I hope the mounts line up!
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 08:31:52 PM »

Hey, you supposed to be asleep!