New England Honda Guys
August 22, 2017, 04:40:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: You shitting me!? Alex's turn...  (Read 883 times)
cabrala

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »

Got around to fixing the oil leak that Andy gasped at outside of Chris' garage last week. I dropped the sump pan, readjusted the gasket and added a thin, thin, thin layer of RTV (on the outside edge) to create a barrier. As I strutted around so proud of my accomplishment, I went onto putting the exhausts back on and noticed one of the #2 studs to be stripped at the joints and collar assembly. Angry  Embarrassed

I tightened it down enough to ride, but I am questioning how simple, or difficult, the long-term solution may be. I assume if it's stripped into the head then a helicoil is needed (?) and if not then maybe just rethread a new stud... I know this isn't a huge deal, but let me bitch and by all means make fun of me for it later.

To rub salt in the wound, I didn't tighten down my left passenger footpeg/exhaust mount well enough and it was taken hostage by the bumpy I-195 in Fall River yesterday. I noticed it this evening as I rode back to Rozzi and found the exhaust off it's mounting location. DOH!
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 07:17:40 AM »

Alex,

Are you saying that the exhaust stud is stripped where is screws into the head? I've drilled and tapped to place larger studs before I knew what helicoils were, and Helicoils are a possibility as well, but I might consider using a high heat epoxy before going the helicoil route.
You might ask on the big forum if you haven't already, as there are many folks there with much more experience than mine. Come to think of it, there are here too!
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:29:32 AM »

Alex,

Are you saying that the exhaust stud is stripped where is screws into the head? I've drilled and tapped to place larger studs before I knew what helicoils were, and Helicoils are a possibility as well, but I might consider using a high heat epoxy before going the helicoil route.
You might ask on the big forum if you haven't already, as there are many folks there with much more experience than mine. Come to think of it, there are here too!

Ben, you're opinion and assistance is always welcome here! Indeed it is one of the studs. The nut is able to be spun onto the exposed side, but once I got to tightening it just spun in the head. To me it looks like it is just the stud that is stripped and not the internals as I'm pretty sure I witnessed the threads peeling off like a deli slicer when the collar with going in for the seal...

I don't know if pictures can help, but I'll throw some up when I get out to her. I have also posted on the other site, but I'll do my research a big further before I push it.

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:35:10 PM »

Alex, I think the head is aluminum and the stud is steel, so the chances the stud is stripped rather than the head are small.
I still wonder if there isn't a high heat epoxy that would work in this situation. Let me know how you make out!
Ben
Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 01:19:44 PM »

A few drops of red Loctite would probably suffice. But make sure to clean off any excess residue.
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 04:13:08 PM »

I cringe when I hear of people using RTV gasket  Undecided A little bit of this getting into your oil passageways and your engine may seize up when it blocks an oil passgeway. I would never never use RTV gloop for a gasket. Just get the Honda gasket - no gloop required.

cheers
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
frostypuck
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 04:20:08 PM »

Red loctite and RTV are two different animals. Loctite stays where it's put. And since Alex is only needing the stuff to hold an exhaust pipe stud from spinning- I'd say give it a go.

Dissension based upon morality is how this country came to be.
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:55:54 PM »

Chris, Andy is referencing the RTV I used to help aid in my sump pan gasket fix. While I absolutely understand his concern, I did use another o-ring and still had a leak all down the front of the pan. Thus I smeared a thin, thin, thin layer of sealant on the outside edge being careful to wipe any sign of it off (with acetone) on the o-ring and inner edge.

When the riding season ends, I need to pull the head to fix the leak there and at the valve cover. I will address the sump pan then as well. My fingers are crossed in the short term.

Chris, I'm planning on taking a closer look at the exhaust stud tomorrow and then possibly use the loctite to set it back in place.
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 09:16:32 PM »

I'm no expert, but Loctite is made from acrylic esters or acrylates. I'm not sure they are as strong as a high heat epoxy material.

Maybe consult something like this?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Industrial/Adhesives/Product/Catalog/Detail/?nid=D4BQJ54KGGbe7ZMZSJBQRHgl
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:29 PM »

Thanks Ben. I've got my reading tonight.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: