New England Honda Guys
July 26, 2017, 02:37:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to ride now! what to wear?  (Read 1540 times)
Vreihenmotor6

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2012, 10:49:51 AM »

hey guys, I keep seeing bikes on the pike while I'm on my way to work

and on days like today, when there's no salt or sand out there, and no precipitation I want to ride

what gear do you guys wear in this weather?

I'm riding a cb750F with no fairings and it gets cold quick
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 10:55:54 AM »

Balaclava, heated gloves, winter jacket and pants. For a longer rides, I use foot warmers that are sold at Home depot.

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 01:37:27 PM »

The main issue with trying to ride these old bikes in the winter is that they can't really support heated gear and you kind of need heated gear in new england.  Most of the guys on here have newer bikes they ride in the winter that have less anemic charging systems so they can run heated gear with no problem. 

Layers can keep the majority of you nice and toasty, but hands are difficult.  Too bulky of a glove and you can't move them well enough and too thin, they get frosty.  I still haven't found a pair of non-heated gloves that will keep my fingers warm in cold weather.  One option that i think a 750 can handle are heated grips.  I am pretty sure Andy has some on one of his 750s so maybe he can chime in.   

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 01:46:08 PM »

Good point about the charging system, Treeve. I dealt with it by purchasing battery operated heated gloves. They last a bit over an hour.  Also, hand guards help significantly.

Vreihenmotor6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:48:14 PM »

I thought the 750s were "okay" as far as charging goes, I know I'd never think of putting heated stuff on the 500 :Smiley

wind proof banaclava? I have a couple non windproof ones for bicycling
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:51:20 PM »

Wind proof balaclava is better, but not necessary. A very small part of it would be exposed to the wind actually.

andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:19:20 PM »

On the VStrom I ride down to 15F or maybe colder  - heated Gerbing gloves and heated jacket liner make extended trips possible (plus the VStrom fairing).

CB750K4 - unfaired - can ride at 20F for up to an hour with the following gear:

1. Winter motorcycle jacket (I have a great Hein Gericke Gore tex winter jacket with thick liner -key here is that its windproof - use a windblocking fleece underneath a lesser jacket with thermal top underneath it all)

2. Windproof trousers (I have Rev It Factory trousers and use thermal long johns under these - works great!)

3. Thermal top (I use Hely Hansen Winter top  -have used it hiking at -20F - works great!).

4. Boots - I use TCX Infinity GoreTex boots - warm enough for me

5. Helmet liner (thermal hiking hat)  -thin enough to wear under your helmet - stops the head getting cold.

6. Gloves - I use Scott snowmobile gloves on the K4 - thick and bulky but they are goretex so wind blocking action.

7. Heated grips - the CB750 supports these very well - and they work great.

8. Barkbuster hand guards - I put these on the K4 for the winter for wind blocking action and they work well. I have also used Hippo hands in the past and these work ok as well and maybe a cheaper option.

Bottom line - easy enough to ride in the winter on a CB750 but expect cold hands after an hour if you are below 20F for more than 30 min. Other than that its a great feeling being out and riding in the cold and the bike loves it as well.

Good luck!
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
Vreihenmotor6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 05:48:03 PM »

hey, thanks for the indepth reply, looks like I've got some saving to do for the gear,it all adds up quickly
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »

The other thing to do is just stop every hour or so and warm up with a cup of coffee or whatever. Hands are the hardest thing to keep warm for me as well. Heated grips are helpful as is buy gloves that are big enough to have a bit of room. I also use silk glove liners, they are cheap, like $8 bucks, and do help, especially if the outer gloves are large enough.
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 07:11:45 PM »

Yeah good gear is always the thing to go for when playing in extreme temps. How much you need is down to how cold you get.

CB810K2 road racer
lazyguy400F

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 12:11:39 PM »

One thing I find helps a lot is a windproof kerchief, better than scarves and bulky neckwarmers that keep your head from turning easily. And a windblock fleece.  But my electric gloves and jacket liner are the ultimate luxury!

-other peter

75 400Four- not quite as shiny as when I got it new...

'10 Guzzi V7 Cafe- wicked shiny!! wooo hooo!
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 12:23:59 PM »

I'm not a fan of riding in the cold, so I just break my bike instead as an excuse to stay inside  Cry

Grin Alex
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 03:44:57 PM »

I'm not a fan of riding in the cold, so I just break my bike instead as an excuse to stay inside  Cry

You are becoming more like Treeve every day  Wink Grin

CB810K2 road racer
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 07:42:22 PM »

You are becoming more like Treeve every day  Wink Grin

Zing!

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
Vreihenmotor6

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 10:33:49 PM »

okay, well thanks for the info guys, it looks liek winter gear is just beyond my budget this winter (extra $$ goes to freshening up the 550 and buying tooling for my mill/ lathe)

but, seeing as its so nice out this week coming up, anyone up for a weekday night ride? I get back to the city around 6pm or so

I did all my errands today via scooter and it was nice weather for riding with minimal gear
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: