New England Honda Guys
June 24, 2017, 04:43:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: My CB400F  (Read 3164 times)
Connito

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »

Yep, I got a

My friend Mark and I went to Malden yesterday and picked it up:

Here we are back at my place:

Yes, it runs!

I look awesome with that matching blue jacket, don't I!

And the restoration begins:

I don't have an exact plan yet, but this would be a very long and thorough project. I am thinking something along the lines of mild cafe project. Very similar in look to Andy's K2. I would keep the original color of the tank, as it is good shape. I have a pair of red side covers, which I would probably paint black, or chrome them. The pipes need to be repaired and re-chromed. The motor needs to be freshen up, as most of the rest of the bike. Basically, everything that's on the bike and I will use, I would have to rebuilt. Many parts would be replaced with new and/or alternatives.
I welcome all suggestions!
I am hopping to have it done by the 2015 riding season, so the updates here will be very sporadic.

Cheers,
Peter

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:17:53 PM »

Nice!  I wasnt sure if it really existed Wink

Looks like i will have a few presents for you now

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 09:03:31 PM »

Aha!! It exists and it is alive! Looks like good bones to start with. So far, your resto-mod plan sounds perfect. I'm excited to follow along and check it out.
lazyguy400F

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:48:03 AM »

That bike looks eerily familiar...

I guess I'd better get my ass in gear and get mine back to 100% asap. And get a matching blue jacket so as not to be totally out-styled!  I've  got a few odds and ends of 400four bits laying around, but I couldn't see anything here that you might need. I've got that same crash bar, in case you want two.

I'll get the new coils and petcock I need, and then buzz over to compare notes.

Congratulations on now owning the absolutely coolest bike ever! (well, at least on the top 5 list).

-other peter

75 400Four- not quite as shiny as when I got it new...

'10 Guzzi V7 Cafe- wicked shiny!! wooo hooo!
lazyguy400F

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:02:19 AM »

And what the f@@k is that little disc hanging from the crash bar? A lean indicator? Gyroscopic stabilizer? Traffic signal tripper? Pedestrian warning bell?

75 400Four- not quite as shiny as when I got it new...

'10 Guzzi V7 Cafe- wicked shiny!! wooo hooo!
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:12:46 AM »

Very nice Peter and who dosent love those header pipes! I agree that you should go all chrome and go for the bling bling factor - it really does make the bike go faster (well some engine mods along with it done hurt either). I rode a very fast race-tuned CB400 down in New Orleans and that was great fun to ride. Something to look forward to when yours is finished. You and Treeve can battle it out for the coolest small bike.

Good plan for the resto and very doable.

Good luck
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 08:59:03 AM »

Thanks guys!

Treeve, presents are always welcomed and much appreciate it Grin

Alex, yes - it is good bones, but I ma afraid that it really is only bones. EVERYTHING needs to be re-done or replaced on the bike!

Pietro, I thought I've seen you on a similar bike Wink Seriously though, please come over to drink beers and tell me about the bike. One of the things I need to replace is the petcock. Where are you going to get yours from?
I am seriously considering having two crash bars. One for the rear. You know, to protect my aluminum side cases. Oh, and that thing hanging from the FRONT crash bar is a lean indicator, gyroscopic stabilizer and pedestrian warning bell built into one. Very educated guess! It also serves as traffic signal tripper. It is for sale by the way.

Aren't those pipes just amazing, Andy! I don't know about all chrome, but the pipes and the side covers I will do. I (read Mike R) would have to do some engine work also. It will be a long process, especially considering that it will be done on a budget and I am not one to have much free time. I mean look at my CB175. It has been two years and all it needed was a piston replaced, right!

Stay tuned!

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 09:02:51 AM »

Speaking of, how is that 175 coming?  I still want to take it for a spin. 

Also, don't buy new controls, I have you covered.   They are in fantastic shape too, very very clean.      I like ales and pilsners   Wink

Connito

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 09:07:18 AM »

CB175 is moving in the right direction... I now have (or so I hope) all parts needed for the engine assembly. Next step is to actually assemble it... from then on it would be easy. Carb rebuilt    and          vroom!

I got you covered on the ales! Grin Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:15:16 AM by Connito » Logged

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 09:11:57 AM »

CB175 is moving in the right direction... I know have (or so I hope) all parts needed for the engine assembly. Next step is to actually assemble it... from then on it would be easy. Carb rebuilt    and          vroom!

I got you covered on the ales! Grin Thanks!

Nice!!! (on both accounts  Grin)

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 10:39:38 PM »

I saw the blue wonder tonight, it does exist!   Thanks for the beers Peter.  

It also may have one the BEST horn button ever!   I wont spoil the surprise, you will have to go see it for yourself.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:01:50 AM by knowsnothing » Logged

cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 07:25:49 AM »

I saw the blue wonder tonight, it does exist!   Thanks for the beers Peter.  

It also may have one the BEST horn buttons ever!   I wont spoil the surprise, you will have to go see it for yourself.

Wish I coulda made it last night. Now the horn button anticipation is going to kill me!!
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 08:12:32 AM »

Treeve, thanks for presents! You will see them on the BW (Blue Wonder) some day!

Alex, you will have plenty of opportunities to come and see the horn button next month. If not, I will take a picture. In fact, I should really take pictures of a few key elements on the bike.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:14:04 PM by Connito » Logged

Vreihenmotor6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 01:05:37 PM »

the horn is pretty good, I'll agree with that
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 01:14:58 PM »

Treeve, thanks for presents! You will see them on the BW (Blue Wonder) some day!

Alex, you will have plenty of opportunities to come and see the horn button next month. If not, I will take a picture. In fact, I should really take pictures of a few key elements on the bike.

Don't you dare ruin the real-life, first-tim horn viewing with a photograph. I'll see it when I see it and will surely be astonished.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: