New England Honda Guys
June 24, 2017, 04:41:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: My CB400F  (Read 3163 times)
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 01:16:37 PM »

I will take pictures, but I promise not to post them Wink

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
lazyguy400F

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 08:12:06 AM »

My little blue bomber is nearing road-worthiness once again. I got the new coils, patched on my old red wires, put in the new fuel cock, (it doesn't leak! How odd!), even got new 400four decals for the side covers. Now it appears that I'll have to pull and clean the carbs once again so some fuel can actually make it to the cylinders. And maybe freshen up the duct tape and rust-hiding black paint, and maybe polish up the teak dashboard. Then I'll just hope that the front brake will loosen up with a little use, and I'll be able to buzz over and let it meet it's cousin!

You are going to love your mean little machine!

-other p

75 400Four- not quite as shiny as when I got it new...

'10 Guzzi V7 Cafe- wicked shiny!! wooo hooo!
lazyguy400F

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 08:14:09 AM »

And we can compare starter buttons...mine's clunky and taped on, but I suspect your's might have some funky elegance.

Connito

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 03:12:40 PM »

That would be awesome! Sometime mid May would be best for me, as I will be a quite busy when I get back.

You certainly going to loose the battle over the best starter button. And I am pretty sure I will win the competition for the best horn button installed on any motorcycle, ever!

lazyguy400F

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 09:05:32 AM »

Puzzler for those of you who have a clue about electricity-

I put in the new coils, and now I'm not getting any spark when it turns over, but a nice fat one when I turn off the key. I've got the dyna s ignition, and am wondering if it's fried or something. All connections seem good, power is getting down to the unit, it just seems like the signal to spark isn't making it up to the coils. I had switched the pos and neg leads to each coil to see if I had them wrong, and now wonder if I could have "confused" them electrically somehow and caused them to sulk and refuse to work.

Any wisdom here? Or should I just wrap everything in more duct tape and spray on more WD40, which is my go-to fix for anything I don't understand?

-pietro

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 10:20:13 AM »

it sounds like the key switch is wonky

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
lazyguy400F

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 11:01:03 AM »

Switch works fine, I think. Everything else goes on and off, starter spins, etc.  It seems like something's backwards, or a grounding issue, but the deeper voodoo is beyond my peabrained comprehension.

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 12:47:50 PM »

I may not be pea-brained, but am certainly no more than bean-brained. Are you using points or solid state ignition? Is it wired correctly? Would it make sense to by pass the switch and run the coils directly off the battery? Ok, 2 thoughts, my brain is tired now, think I will take a nap!
lazyguy400F

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 01:01:25 PM »

Solid state ignition, wired up the same way it was before. It had been acting up, one coil's worth of cylinders being intermittent, which is why I simply replaced the coils. Since it gives a nice spark when i shut it off, i know the coils are storing up juice, could it spark then because it's happier discharged? Or is something shorting out and switching it off relaxes some load and it quickly tries to work? Or has all the 400 four karma of our group moved over to Connito?

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »

hmm, sounds like your issue may not have been coils at all, my money would be on the dyna S.  Do you have an old points plate to throw on there and see if that changes anything? 

lazyguy400F

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 12:12:46 PM »

Finally got back to the ignition puzzle...Juice is getting to and from the dyna ignition, the coils are getting loaded up, the signal from the dyna gets up to the coils, but it won't spark. All four plugs spark when I turn off the ignition or hit the kill switch. When I hooked up the new coils I had the pos / neg terminals backwards at first, which some googling implies is not an issue, but maybe it is? Could I have fried the tricky bits inside? And made the coils shiny new junk? Or some mysterious grounding/ crossed wires issue that I'm staring at but still can't see?

Any enlightenment or wacky ideas welcome!

-other p

and Treeve, that sucks about your injury...can you switch over to touch rugby now that you're elderly?

Connito

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 12:17:57 PM »

Other P, I am not ignoring you, but I have no idea what the problem could be, that's why I decided to keep my mouth shut Undecided
I don't think you have fried the coils.

I would follow Treeve's advice and replace the Dyna with points plate, just to be sure! I have one, if you don't have it.

Good luck!

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 01:16:54 PM »

yeah Non-Bulgarian Peter, electrical problems are hard to find sometimes. 

If this was my issue, first thing i would do is start from scratch.  Unhook everything, check for obvious "that doesn't look right"s, then put back and hook it up.  If it still doesn't work, i would start isolating each component one at a time and try to figure out what isn't working.  Being that the dyna is electronic it can be difficult to troubleshoot.  Thats why i would start there and work out.  I too might have a spare points plate you can borrow if you need.  Good luck

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 03:06:58 PM »

Finally got back to the ignition puzzle...Juice is getting to and from the dyna ignition, the coils are getting loaded up, the signal from the dyna gets up to the coils, but it won't spark. All four plugs spark when I turn off the ignition or hit the kill switch. When I hooked up the new coils I had the pos / neg terminals backwards at first, which some googling implies is not an issue, but maybe it is? Could I have fried the tricky bits inside? And made the coils shiny new junk? Or some mysterious grounding/ crossed wires issue that I'm staring at but still can't see?

Any enlightenment or wacky ideas welcome!

-other p

and Treeve, that sucks about your injury...can you switch over to touch rugby now that you're elderly?

Peter, it would be great if you could swap out another dyna or ignition. I have had problems with dynas as have others.
lazyguy400F

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 05:46:48 PM »

She lives!  After more testing and puzzling, broke down and ordered new ignition from David Silver, not a dyna-s but a japanese circuit board rig. Got it all in, nice spark! Then fuel wasn't getting through, was about to pull the carbs for a cleaning but thought to check the in-line filter one last time. It was all gummed up after the latest "rest" period, so blew it out, hit the switch and it roared, (well, hummed), into life. It ran like a top on a brief neighborhood tour. Now I'll just finish unsticking the front brake, add a little more duct tape here and there, and go get a sticker.

Thanks for all the expert advice and sympathetic head scratching. Now I have a fleet again!

-other peter

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: