New England Honda Guys
August 23, 2017, 05:19:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: One of those days...  (Read 5276 times)
knowsnothing

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2013, 12:02:50 AM »

It started Sun when i came to the realization that the fuel hose on the 350 had shrunk and needed to be replaced.

So Monday i got home from work excited.  Off with the airbox. Off with the carbs.  Nice new flexy fuel line on.  Carbs back on.  Air box back in.  Decided i wanted to put an inline fuel filter in.  All the stores were closed and i had rugby tuesday, so this would have to wait until wed.

Today, wed, all excited at work thinking i might actually get to take the bike for a spin tonight.  Pick up a filter after work.  Filter in, gas tank on, battery in, turn the key on, what could possible go wrong?   She comes to life quickly, nice sewing machine sound( maybe a little noisy) but she wont idle and.......is that gas I smell?   3 of the 4 carbs are pissing gas out of their over flows.  Gas off, tap tap on float bowls.  1 and 4 are good, 2 and 3 still pissing.  

Off with the tank, off with the battery.  Air box out, carbs out.  Open them up, clean clean clean( a few clogs and some lazy gasket sealing Anders!), close them up.

Carbs on, air box on, battery in, tank on.  Turn on gas.......sweet no more leaks.  Hmm, wonder where the cam tensioner is?  I should probably adjust it this time when i fire her up.   Its not where the 750s is....hmm.....go reference the shop manual.  Ahh its in the front over the oil filter.  Interesting.  Grab a wrench of proper size, head back to the garage, bend over and find....

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:17:43 AM by knowsnothing » Logged

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 12:16:26 AM »

Sheared clean off.....i cant even look at the bike I am so dissapointed.

Anyone interested in a 350f?  Will let it go for a good price.

Connito

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 08:01:50 AM »

OUCH! I am so sorry man!

Apparently this is a common problem - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=85682.0

Perhaps, this is a sign that you should buy a CB400F engine for the 350F! From what I understand (and see), your bike is way better than the CB400F, with the exception of the engine.

Cheers,
Peter

P.S. Don't sell it! You will be sorry!

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 08:02:55 AM »

Oh no thats not good  Undecided Is there a solution to this or would it require welding another one on? Is there no way to drill the existing one out and re-tap another one in? Like a rod with a plunger at the end (like the 750 one). No idea how the 350 one works but perhaps there is a solution?

Edit: reading the link Peter provided sounds like an easy fix no?

Good luck
Andy
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:05:37 AM by andy750 » Logged

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:31:54 AM »

Thanks guys.  After a good night sleep and a chat with Anders, things are better.  As Peter said, this is pretty common due to a shitty design.  The other issue is that these bolts are no longer available so tracking one down might be a chore.  

Anders said i could run it as is since it is probably wedged in there.  It shouldn't hurt anything as is, but I need to keep an eye on the bolt for movement.  There is a slim chance it might start to shimmy its way out, which wouldn't be a bad thing in the end.  

I guess I am going to keep going with and maybe pull the engine next winter and take care of it.  Yes Peter, i am always on the look out for a deal on a 400 engine.

Andy, the tension looks a little different, but the concept in the same. #12 is the offending bolt.

Peter, you better guard your 400's bolt....im coming...... Grin

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:37:42 AM by knowsnothing » Logged

Connito

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:47:55 AM »

Good!!!

And when you pull the engine out, you can do the mode like the guy on the link I sent you. In fact, now that I know about that, I will do it on my engine!

Cheers!

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 10:01:28 PM »

I looked at the photos a couple of times and as well the fiche copy. Hard to tell what the access to the sheared bolt is like, but when you want to, try slotting the remaining portion of visible screw with a dremel, (I will give you a couple of dental burrs to use if you want), then back it out with a slot head screw driver.

I hate these little surprises. It sounds like you had the same sinking stomach feeling I had when I pulled the air filter off my 750 and found that some PO had crappily welded the lower case after an accident had caused the hollow tube filter support to shear off.
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 12:00:24 PM »

Yeah Ben, i am not a fan of the little surprises.

Well, me and the bike are no longer on speaking terms.  

I got it all back together by about 7:30 pm last night and decided to go on a shake down run.  Got back to the garage with 4.8 miles on the odometer.  If you take that and divide it by 2, thats how many miles I had to push this POS home.  I made it back at 10:15 pm so it was about 2 hours of pushing....  The reason was my oil light came on all of a sudden.  I was getting a weird vibration through the seat at about 6-7k rpm so I wanted to see if it was just a weird oscillation in that rpm range so i opened it up a little more to 7-8K (it supposedly red lines at 10k) to see if it went away.  Thats when the oil light popped on.  I pulled over and cut the engine, maybe 30 secs tops.  I couldn't find any obvious oil leaks and I had just changed the oil so i know there was and least 3.5 liters in there.  So to be safe i pushed the POS home.  

A couple lessons learned:

1. When doing a shake down run, stay close to the house
2. When doing a shake down run, if you don't stay close to the house at least bring your cell phone.
3. When doing a shake down run, if you don't stay close to the house and don't bring your cell phone, and least bring your wallet.
4. When doing a shake down run, if you don't stay close to the house and don't bring you cell phone or wallet, be prepared for a long sucky walk home.  
5. Pushing a bike sucks.  
6. Pushing a bike with a slightly hanging front brake sucks more.  
7. Always eat and drink a little something before you leave.
8. When doing a shake down run, if you don't stay close to the house and don't bring your cell phone or wallet and have to push a bike with a slightly hanging front brake while hungry and thirsty, you will have a shitty night.  

For the record, I passed 3 restaurants and one gas station on the way home.  The only reason the bike isn't a smoldering pile of ash in my driveway is because those first 2.4 miles were damn fun.  

Connito

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 12:10:29 PM »

This is my favorite post of all times!

In fact, I will print it, frame it and display it on the wall in the basement!

And that's all I have to say about that!

cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 01:01:49 PM »

This is my favorite post of all times!

In fact, I will print it, frame it and display it on the wall in the basement!

And that's all I have to say about that!

I think we should all do it. In remembrance of the day Treeve went off the deep end...

Great post of a shitty situation. I am sorry to hear about the misfortune but thanks for writing some gold material here. Grin
Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 01:29:33 PM »

+1 on the best post ever.

cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 02:06:04 PM »

I've taken the liberty of putting this POTY (post of the year) into a word doc for all to print and hang in their respective shops.
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 02:07:13 PM »

I also did it, but didn't want to share  Grin

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 02:53:42 PM »

I am glad you are all enjoying it so much  Grin  May those words of wisdom keep you down the straight and narrow.

Connito

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 03:01:20 PM »

I already have it on the wall at work....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: