New England Honda Guys
June 24, 2017, 04:37:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: One of those days...  (Read 5027 times)
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 03:40:45 PM »

So wait a minute....the bike ran...but the oil light came on at 7.5K....so why not 1) check the oil then 2) ride it those 2.4 miles at less than 6K rpm or at 20 mph?Huh? What am I missing here?  Shocked

I ran a SOHC CB750 1000 miles (yes you read that right) on 3-cylinders not doing more than 50 mph from mainland Europe to home in Oxford since #3 cylinder wasnt firing. On a separate CB750, I rode it 500 miles from the bottom of England where I had been visiting a hot blonde babe back to Scotland at 50 mph all on highway because the ignition condenser had gone and I was too inexperienced to know that - took me 12 hrs to get home. But then I am maybe a little more stupid than you Wink

As for the rest of the post...totally agree  Grin Grin Cool

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 04:06:05 PM »

So wait a minute....the bike ran...but the oil light came on at 7.5K....so why not 1) check the oil then 2) ride it those 2.4 miles at less than 6K rpm or at 20 mph?Huh? What am I missing here?  Shocked

The light came on at 7.5k and stayed on after that no matter what the rpm (even at idle).  I didn't check the oil level because it didn't matter what I found.  If it was low, I had no means of adding more.  I figured the reason the light came on was because 1 - low oil (screwed), 2 - low oil pressure for some other reason (screwed), or 3 - bad/faulty pressure sensor (not screwed but i had no way of testing it, so still screwed).  

The reason i decided to push it because I was having visions of Alex's bike seizing up and then making a horrific squeaky sound.  The last thing I want is to have another engine disassembled waiting on a rebuild.  Also, I don't want to have Ander's pissed at me like Alex  Grin
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 04:08:39 PM by knowsnothing » Logged

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »

Looks good Peter!  You need to laminate it so it can be passed down through the generations.  Tongue

cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »

You are wise beyond your years, Treeve. The scorn of Anders is not to be taken lightly. Do you know how much ice cream had to be sacrificed just to get back on his good side?

Beyond that I did think the same thing as Andy, but also figured that you didn't want anything catastrophic to happen and then be truly screwed with a rebuild. Have you been able to test anything since? Do you have a plan for troubleshooting? I would imagine that you would have known if the bike was pissing or burning oil, so check your levels and then move onto the switch; I know they can be testy...

By the way, I just caught your signature at the bottom of your posts and had a good laugh. Grin
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 04:52:56 PM »

Looks good Peter!  You need to laminate it so it can be passed down through the generations.  Tongue
Oh, It will be!

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 04:54:44 PM »

I did think the same thing as Andy, but also figured that you didn't want anything catastrophic to happen and then be truly screwed with a rebuild. Have you been able to test anything since? Do you have a plan for troubleshooting? I would imagine that you would have known if the bike was pissing or burning oil, so check your levels and then move onto the switch; I know they can be testy...

Yeah, me too. When are you going to troubleshoot it?

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 05:40:33 PM »

I did think the same thing as Andy, but also figured that you didn't want anything catastrophic to happen and then be truly screwed with a rebuild. Have you been able to test anything since? Do you have a plan for troubleshooting? I would imagine that you would have known if the bike was pissing or burning oil, so check your levels and then move onto the switch; I know they can be testy...

Yeah, me too. When are you going to troubleshoot it?

Tonight I am going to check oil level and try to discount any electrical issue.  If neither of those prove fruitful, I am stuck until I can free up some time to have Ander's come visit. 

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 12:26:25 AM »

Bloody hell Treeve! I am sympathetic as I have done the same thing here in France. I ran out of gas in a thunderstorm late at night without a cell phone, and had to push a couple of km to get home. It takes a ridiculously long time to push a bike especially uphill, and I was late to get home by a few hours and Martha was crying.

I do not think there was any alternative but to stop the bike and push, and hope the outcome is better than you expect. It would be great though if Peter would mount a sidecar( double entendre intended) like the ones used at the Cannonball to haul bikes, and was on call 24/7 to come help us out in these situations. It would also be great if he was telepathic so one wouldnt need a phone, and nuts so one wouldnt need any money to have him come and pick us up when we break down.

Your instructions for leaving home are a work of art. I am hanging a framed copy( thanks Alex) next to the poem Deciderata in my bathroom for future contemplation. Thanks!
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 09:45:46 AM »

Ah that makes sense Treeve - more info is always good! I'd change the oil see if anything comes out and check the filter as well as the oil pump screen (if it has one). And check the oil pressure switch. Hopefully it's something easy.

Yeah pushing a bike is no fun...I pushed mine 2 miles on the French autoroute having run out of gas. I was laden down with wine bottles and champagne glasses having come from my then French girlfriends house in Alsace Wink

Looking forward to hearing some positive results! Good luck!

Cheers
Andy

CB810K2 road racer
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 05:10:22 PM »

Good news, the bike and I have hugged it out.   

Looks like i pinched the oil guage wire between the cover and case cause it to ground out.  Fixed that and all is well in the world.  Getting ready to head out on shake down run part duex.  Phone and wallet will make the trip this time so if you get a call from me, dont be surprised.   Wink

andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 05:46:39 PM »

Great news Treeve! Photos from the road please!

Btw I have a photo of the Screaming Eagle store here in Montreal - now we know where Alex got his bike from Smiley

It's 75F up here - nice!

Cheers
Andy

CB810K2 road racer
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 06:06:21 PM »

Good news, the bike and I have hugged it out.   

Looks like i pinched the oil guage wire between the cover and case cause it to ground out.  Fixed that and all is well in the world.  Getting ready to head out on shake down run part duex.  Phone and wallet will make the trip this time so if you get a call from me, dont be surprised.   Wink

Great news, congrats. I finally got out for a ride here in France late this afternoon after 9 days of rain. Sure felt good! Looking forward to seeing your bike as well.
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 10:19:15 PM »

Excellent!

How did your second shake down run go?

Connito

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 10:25:27 PM »

It would be great though if Peter would mount a sidecar( double entendre intended) like the ones used at the Cannonball to haul bikes, and was on call 24/7 to come help us out in these situations. It would also be great if he was telepathic so one wouldnt need a phone, and nuts so one wouldnt need any money to have him come and pick us up when we break down.

Okay, I got the last one of these. I would gladly go out and help any of you if break down and I surely wouldn't charge. I have been working on second one for the last dozen or so years. I am getting better at it, but I really didn't sense Treeve being out there. Now, for the first and most important part - I would accept any donations and clever ideas, as to how to acquire a sidecar that you could get your bike on.

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 12:57:20 AM »

http://www.chopcult.com/news/blogs/tim-yeates-motorcycle-cannonball-support-sidecar05-04-10-10-06-10.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: