New England Honda Guys
August 21, 2017, 03:38:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: One of those days...  (Read 5266 times)
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2013, 10:59:54 PM »

Looks great man! All you need is some bar end mirrors. You know, so you can see something other than your shoulders. 

Then it'll be considered "cafe" and worth more than double what you paid.

Who brought all the funny guys tonight?? Seriously though, it looks freaking sweet. Glad it's not a pile of smoldering ash...
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2013, 08:14:08 AM »

Bike looks good Treeve! Not sure about those bars though...what about some CB400 bars?

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2013, 09:49:51 AM »

The bars are M bars and aren't bad in the comfy dept.  Better than the drags, worse than the renthals.  I don't see myself taking this bike for long distance trips (70mph is about its max) so i don't think the bars will be a problem.

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2013, 10:42:46 AM »

Oh I remember the days of having a bike that could do 70mph...

Now they have to resort to looking fast while standing still.

I agree that the 400F or euro bars would look killer on that, but if you're comfortable on it as an around-towner then so be it. It's still running well? Hugging it out the other night worked?
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2013, 12:01:34 PM »

It's still running well? Hugging it out the other night worked?

I guess so.  It seems to run a little better each time i take it out.  I still need to do a couple things like synch carbs, gap points, valve adjustment (they are a little big) etc, but the only issues I am currently having is carb overflow.  It happens randomly usually on start up.  First it was 2&3, then it was 1, yesterday it was 4.  Random as shit.  I can turn the gas on, no leaks.  I turn the gas on, close the choke and try to start bike, leaks sometimes.  Once the bike is running, no leaks.  Not sure what the hell would cause that, sticky float valve maybe?  I am running some seafoam through the bike now, so we will see if that does anything.   

Connito

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2013, 01:32:36 PM »

You said you cleaned the carbs twice, right? Do you think a third time is necessary? Do you have filter between the tank and the carbs?

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2013, 09:44:46 PM »

+1 on the fuel filter, the random nature of the overflow location sounds like crap is sticking in your float valves keeping them from sealing.

What shape were your float valves in?
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2013, 04:47:37 AM »

Hi,

Things that I think of on reading the symptoms, aside from stuff like worn float valves and dirt.

Adjustment of floats? If they are adjusted too high when the valve closes, you could be seeing overflow until the running motor sucks out some.

Otherwise are all the float parts in decent shape? I dont think holes in the floats would cause intermittant leaking, which I am assuming is through the overflow hoses. Are the pins that the floats rotate free when the floats are rotated dry? Maybe they are causing friction until lubricated by gas?
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2013, 08:00:15 AM »

Hi Treeve

This sounds like the same problem on my K4 that we discovered at Mikes the other week. Likely suspects...1) piece of crap intermittently hanging up the floats causing overflow 2) float valve sticking due to crap 3) rust in tank leading to crap in carbs. I have removed my carbs, removed the floats, float pins and float valves and cleaning with carb cleaner. Anders also suggested using Mothers Alu polish on a Q-tip and cleaning where the float valve sits.

Good luck in sorting out your carbs but most likely they have to come off...an inline filter wont hurt as well or use some EvapoRust on the tank.

cheers
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2013, 02:35:01 PM »

Hey guys,

Yeah i also thought it might be crude in the fuel tank/carb bowls.  So after it pissed gas out of the over flows a few times I took the carbs off, cleaned them (broke everything down), installed a fuel filter, installed new fuel line, got new gas and added some seafoam.  The tank is in decent shape and not rusty.  Since doing all of that, my number 4 has leaked briefly but that was probably still running off of the old gas.  I took it for a spin after so the next start up will be the real test.  My vote is for caca floating around that will hopefully clean itself out. 

Ben, i don't think its float height because i can turn the fuel on and nothing happens.  It only overflows with fuel on, choke closed and starter motor.  Take any of those out of the equation, no overflow.  On top of that, our man Anders initially rebuilt these carbs last year before i bought the bike from him and he does decent work for an old timer   Grin

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2013, 05:41:16 PM »

he does decent work for an old timer   Grin

Ouch, that old timer is the same age as I am!

Hope it is just accumulated crud!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: