Helmet review -Shoei Neotec - the love affair is over

(1/4) > >>

andy750:
I had been wanting one ever since I saw it....flip-up that looked like a sports helmet with added sun visor - cool I thought. I hadnt bought a new helmet for 4-5 yrs and even though my Shoei TZR is a great all-round helmet I wear it every day and its getting old. So I got a good deal on Ebay for a Shoei Neotec and it arrived this week.

Size - XL like both my other Shoeis (TZR and X-11)

Construction - shiny black great finish, pinlock shield for wet/cold mornings (anti-fog), visor has a very nice ratchet system, internal sun-shield is very cool and easy to operate, however I miss my switch that I have on the TZR that locks the shield or pushes it open a crack - this is probably because the Neotecs visor has a better way of closing tightly - you can hear it seal!

Fit - tight on the cheeks but feels comfortable once on.

Wind noise - this helmet is very quiet (and I thought the TZR was quiet). With ear plugs its even better.

Ventilation - top head vent lets in lots of air as does bottom vent (however it opens an odd way that may let in water in the rain - not tested this yet).  

Flip-up lid - easy to operate and close and great to feel the air on your face in slow moving traffic or a traffic jam. At 35 mph no wind drag on your head with it up.

Sun-visor - here is the problem - it works great and can be used down when visor is up and wind is not an issue up to 65 mph - so its like having an open face helmet without sacrificing the chin bar. Here is the problem - you look like Robocop when its down  :-\ Not sure thats really my thing....

Helmet buffeting - one last issue for me - only tested this helmet on the VStrom but the shape of the helmet matched to the fairing means more wind buffeting noise with this helmet compared to the TZR....with ear plugs its better.

Still not 100% Ill keep it due to the issues described but I can see it would be great in summer when its hot so....need to decide if its better than the X-11 for keeping ones head cool in hot weather (the X-11 is very good!).

cheers
Andy

Connito:
Quote from: andy750 on May 02, 2013, 08:25:19 AM

- you look like Robocop when its down  :-\

Hey, I thought that's why you bought it ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the review. I am seriously considering buying a modular helmet and this is helpful to me. How about the weight?

andy750:
You can buy mine if you want ;). I may yet keep it and just not use the sun-visor (even though its super handy).

Weight is not too bad. Feels a little heavy compared to the TZR (light) or X-11 (very light) but once you get used to wearing it no problem.

Feel free to come check mine out.

cheers
Andy

Connito:
Thanks, Andy! I will check it out next time we see each other. Can't buy yours though, you have a way too big of a melon ;D

knowsnothing:
Quote from: andy750 on May 02, 2013, 08:25:19 AM

Sun-visor - here is the problem - it works great and can be used down when visor is up and wind is not an issue up to 65 mph - so its like having an open face helmet without sacrificing the chin bar. Here is the problem - you look like Robocop when its down  :-\ Not sure thats really my thing....

Pics or it didn't happen  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page