New England Honda Guys
August 23, 2017, 05:25:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: R.I.P. Ural  (Read 7064 times)
Connito

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2013, 09:39:36 AM »

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that one of the carbs was leaking. I removed it and found that the float level was too high. I removed the spark plug and kicked the engine to get the gas out of the cylinder had and thus preventing a hydrolock! For good measure, I changed the oil and the oil filter, although there weren’t any visible signs of contamination. I cleaned the carb and set the float level, making sure that the needle was in good shape and actually closing the flow. I then installed it, adjusted the air mixture on both carbs, the idle and throttle and synced them. I put on new spark plugs and the engine was sounding really well. I took it out for a spin around the block, and I must say that it ran better than ever. Really good! For an Ural anyway. I was very excited, so I wanted to take Silva and go for a ride. However, when she came back from the errands she was running, she said that she would have to prepare dinner and I need to water the yard. Oh well, I said, and then turned on the hose and starting watering the plants. An hour later (yes, it takes that long to water the plants) it was apparent that we are not going to go for a ride as it was getting dark already. I went to start the Ural to put it back in the shed. I flipped the switch and pressed the start button. Now, most of you know, that I really like to kick start all my bikes (well, the ones that have a kick starter). I am not sure why I decided to use the start button this time. BIG F____NG MISTAKE! Apparently the carb was still leaking, I didn’t turn off the petcock and the engine hydrolocked! I all heard was a big “bam” after I pressed the start button.  I have not assessed the damage just yet, but obviously the push rods are gone, probably the crankshaft and who knows what more. I have a few options now. Sell the rig as it is, part it out, replace the engine with a BMW R75, replace the engine with a newer generation Ural, or fix this one. Time will tell which option I will choose…
Later,
Peter

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 12:43:24 PM »

Oh no! My initial thought is that of all bikes to have this problem, a flat twin is the easiest to at least dismantle. Remove the heads cylinders and see what is what. Hopefully no distortion to the con rods and crank. Question for you, are BMW parts a direct replacement?
Can you use something like an R90 top end to replace yours if need be?
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:52:18 PM »

Nope, not a direct replacement. From what I read, the crank is certainly a goner, which means I will have to take the engine off and basically rebuild everything. Not an easy, nor cheap solution.
I am steering away from installing a BMW engine. Way too complicated and EXPENSIVE. I would soon buy a BMW and attach the sidecar to it. I will be loosing my reverse though, which is a must for me. One of the biggest reasons I went with Ural rather than other sidecar options.

andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 01:32:31 PM »

Oh thats terrible news! Sorry to hear this  Undecided

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 02:52:55 PM »

Nope, not a direct replacement. From what I read, the crank is certainly a goner, which means I will have to take the engine off and basically rebuild everything. Not an easy, nor cheap solution.
I am steering away from installing a BMW engine. Way too complicated and EXPENSIVE. I would soon buy a BMW and attach the sidecar to it. I will be loosing my reverse though, which is a must for me. One of the biggest reasons I went with Ural rather than other sidecar options.

If the crank is spun, it probably can be rebuilt. You will not know what is gone until you take it apart though. There is not much to this engine design, and you had practice already with the 175! Now all you need is the Gene of Urals and BMWs to help you. Why not try Phil Rose? If he cannot help, he will know someone who can.
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 03:15:31 PM »

Thanks Andy for the sympathy.

Ben, I think I am leaning towards repair. I have to gather a bit more info. I will deal with it when I return from Bulgaria though. Thank you for your thought and suggestions!

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 04:49:16 PM »

That sucks peter sorry....i would agree with the fixing it part.  Now that the 175 is done, you definitely need another project.   Wink

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
celeryjelly

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 07:39:23 PM »

Oh Nooooo!!   Sad
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 08:32:54 PM »

I think I will fix it. I will acquire the necessary parts in the next couple of months, then I will pull the engine out an repair it in the winter/spring.

Will keep you posted :Smiley

Vreihenmotor6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 08:53:41 PM »

I vote fix it!

and I offer to help
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 09:22:39 PM »

Thanks! I will surely need help. I am thinking that I will tackle that project at the beginning of September.

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 07:41:50 AM »

Heck, put one engine in, take on out. It all balances!
I am in to help as well.
Ben
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 08:07:10 AM »

Thanks guys!

As some of you know, I will be away till the 17th. We should have an "engine take out" party on either the 24th or the 31st. Any preferences?

andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 08:29:35 AM »

We should have an "engine take out" party on either the 24th or the 31st. Any preferences?

This can also double as the August "Beer Night"  Wink

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 08:30:24 AM »

This is a great idea!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: