R.I.P. Ural

<< < (6/19) > >>

Connito:
A big THANK YOU for all that came to drink beer and have lunch! Oh, and destroying my wonderfully build Russian machine!

I was relying on Andy to take pictures, but he was able to take only a few (most of them of my balding head), since his hands were always busy with beers. So, no more photos. Big mistake! I will have the my camera out the next time!

Fun was had by most (I hope) and the weather was really cooperating!
Unfortunately, I still don't know what is wrong with the engine. The motor is off the frame and the only two left possibilities are cam gear or timing gear. You have to remove the timing gear in order to remove the cam gear, but to remove the timing gear you need to be able to spin the the engine... which is not spinning. I think I will remove the flywheel, which is damaged and it should be replaced anyhow and I hope that would reveal some answers. Otherwise, I would have to drill through the timing gear wheel or the in order to access the second screw and remove it. I see no other options at this point. I will post on the Ural forum later on to see if there is someone who can help.

Thank you all again!

Cheers,
Peter

cabrala:
I wish I could've made it up in time to catch some of the action, but the day was indeed great and it looks like you had a great group willing to lend a hand and, at the very least, help you diagnose what is NOT the problem. If you need some help as you keep working, I'll be around.

Connito:
Thanks, Alex. Yes, we had fun!

azure:
Quote from: Connito on August 26, 2013, 10:19:42 AM

Unfortunately, I still don't know what is wrong with the engine. The motor is off the frame and the only two left possibilities are cam gear or timing gear. You have to remove the timing gear in order to remove the cam gear, but to remove the timing gear you need to be able to spin the the engine... which is not spinning. I think I will remove the flywheel, which is damaged and it should be replaced anyhow and I hope that would reveal some answers. Otherwise, I would have to drill through the timing gear wheel or the in order to access the second screw and remove it. I see no other options at this point. I will post on the Ural forum later on to see if there is someone who can help.
Cheers,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Its the Cam gear that normally should come off first, and normally when the engine will turn, it is a simple deal to remove the gear with attached front bearing and camshaft by simply removing the 2 screws which hold the flanged bearing cover in place. This is not possible with a seized engine, so I think your idea is good, loosen both of the nuts which hold the timing gear( the lower, smaller one)
and the flywheel. Then using a puller, pull the flywheel and see if you can also get the timing gear loose. Removing the visible screw on the cam bearing flange may also be helpful. When the cover underneath the flywheel and clutch is removed,  the back end of the crank should be moveable, so the timing gear will be the only thing keeping the the crank in place. Hopefully, it should be possible to disengage the timing and cam gears at this point, if it has not happened previously.

Connito:
Thanks Ben. I will update when I have some progress. It looks like it will rain on Tuesday and Wednesday, so no riding the CB175, which will give me time to troubleshoot the engine.

Later,
Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page