Look what followed me home this weekend...

<< < (3/7) > >>

knowsnothing:
Lays are greasy and gross.  Doritos are cheesy and delicious and have MSG (monosodium glutamate), doritos win.

And i though it was pringles with the "Once you pop, you can't stop"

Connito:
Quote from: knowsnothing on August 13, 2013, 03:34:07 PM

The plan:
Get my brother-from-another-mother Anders to help fix the cam adj bolt
Fix the clutch
Replace the shifter oil seal
Clean it up
Then swap it over to the 350f, keep my fingers crossed everything works...enjoy more pep

Great find and excellent plan!!!

knowsnothing:
Because Peter yelled at me  :P  http://nehondaguys.info/forums/index.php?topic=1917.msg16244#msg16244

Refresher
"The plan:
1. Get my brother-from-another-mother Anders to help fix the cam adj bolt
2. Fix the clutch
3. Replace the shifter oil seal
4. Clean it up
5. Then swap it over to the 350f, keep my fingers crossed everything works...enjoy more pep"

The Actual
1. Winter '13/'14- I took the 400f engine to see my main man Anders last winter to try to get the broken cam adjuster bolt out.  

He turned up a drill bushing, so he could drill a hole dead nuts in the center of the broken bolt.  Then he used his fancy (and expensive) extractor kit to try and remove the broken screw.  It wouldn't budge so we went on to plan B, drill out the screw completely.  Plan B was 98% successful.  The 2% was the very tip of broken screw that was unthreaded and would not come out of the whole no matter how long Anders tried to tweez it out.  I called it victory and took Anders across the street for some Birthday pizza.

2-4. Because we couldn't get that little piece out, i had to split the cases to get it.  And since i was splitting the cases I figured I might as well just take the whole engine apart to inspect.  SO, this happened

And i was VICTORIOUS!

knowsnothing:
2-4. (Cont.) The internals looked great and it didn't seem like anyone had been in it digging around before.  I ended up replacing all the gaskets and most of the seals, the clutch and a few bits here and there that I thought needed it.  Anders, the nice guy that he is, made the drive down to my place and helped me install the clutch and put the jugs back on with out bending a ring.  I also gave him that little pain in the ass screw piece because he deserved it.  This experience made me realize i like working on these little engines a whole lot more than the 750s.

5. Spring - Winter '14 - The engine was back together and ready to be transplanted, but because the warmer weather was about the start and the bike was running great, i decided to put off the transplant until the following winter.  Enter, this weekend.  It was cold and rainy and I had some free time so the surgery began.  I followed the manual and took everything off that the said was required to remove the engine.  The only extra thing i took off to make it an easy 1 man job was the breather cover.  I swapped the engines in 10 mins.  So much easier than that monstrosity of a 750 engine.  All in all it was a pretty easy swap and took about 4 hours start to mostly finish.  Hopefully the 400f engine works are well as it looked inside.  

I am pleased to introduce my 1974 CB375f! (it only took a year)

knowsnothing:
A couple things to note if you planning on doing this in the future:

1. - You will need to up the idle jets in your carbs.  I forget what they are, its in the manual.  Just match what a normal 400f should have.
2.  - You will need a new clutch cable.  The 350 doesn't work with the 400.
3. - You will need the 400f foot pegs, shifter, brake pedal and kicker (maybe, Peter I will need to borrow yours to see if it makes a difference, i don't think i have one).  The shape of the 400 engine is a little different
4. - The above, even though needed, won't fit quite right.  The right peg is in the way of the brake pedal which is in the way of the kicker.  Hopefully there is enough wiggle room to make it all work.  

Still on the to do wish list:
Replace exhaust with something a little sportier
Trim down the rear fender and find a smaller brake light
Enjoy more pep

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page