New England Honda Guys
June 24, 2017, 04:41:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CB550 Project Update  (Read 822 times)
suby555

1977 CB550k

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:12:36 AM »

Hi All,
Ive been promising pictures for a while and finally have some time to get around to it!

New to the bike scene in general, so im especially new to the sohc scene... But have built cars in the past and am "mechanically inclined" as some say.

Basic goal is to get the bike up and running and then ride it. Love the simplicity of this bike. After that, who knows what the future will hold.
Of course i didnt get as many pictures as i should. I just get too excited and completely forget. Well anyway, i started to tear down the bike. got everything apart to see what i was working with. Took the carbs apart, cleaned and bench synced to factory specs. (Anyone have Vac Gauges i could borrow for a day or 2?) Picked up a large order of new parts to get the bike going. (Battery, Cables, Rear indicators, chain, sprockets etc) And just dove in. Thanks to the web and the manual i managed to get most things done. Ill shut up for now and get to some pictures.
(I apologize for Iphone pictures. Hands were non-stop dirty and didnt want to break out the good camera)

So i started with this:

Bike came with 2 sets. and Cafe Seat. and a King and Queen. Running the Cafe for now until i can find a stock seat for cheap enough. (can only find them for ~$300. I paid $350 for the bike. so I just feel wrong spending that much on a seat!!!)

Started to break down the bike and see what i was working with. For the most part the bike was all there. Just needed maintenance items.
Of course i immediately hit this problem.... Im sure many of you are familiar.

Definitely need new sprockets!!!

Bike came with a re manufactured front brake caliper. so i threw that on.

Had to replace the clutch. Found out that the previous owner must have installed the wrong clutch. i was missing a plate... no wonder i couldnt get it to engage!!!

Did the standard tune up

Did the tires myself. Just wanted to try it and see if i could. Did both front a rear. WHAT A PAIN IN THE A$$. Glad i did it. but i think ill have a shop do it next time!!!

And as of Yesterday! Shes on the road! Very excited. Bike feels awesome. Need some carb adjustments definitely. Not 100% set on the seat. Kinda like it. and unless i can find a cheap stock seat itll probably stay for now.

Very excited to be out on it. Hopefully ill be able to make some of the meet-ups etc. (Not sure if ill be confident to do the big ride in a few weeks, but i may meet you at the start to say hi or something)

Anyway. Just wanted to get that out there.
Looking forward to the miles to come.

Jack
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:30:43 AM »

Hey Jack well done on getting the bike back on the road - that is a lot of work in itself! Did you balance the tires/wheels have you put on the new tires? If not you may get a speed wobble at certain mph. Just something to look out for. Anyway very impressive and hope you enjoy riding it. Fall really is the best time to ride!

cheers
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
suby555

1977 CB550k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:26:25 AM »

Hey Andy,
Thats for the kind words.

I did not balance the wheels. Everything i read said that you should mount them. and then balance them on the bike by spinning the wheel and seeing where it lands. chalk up a couple places and make adjustments. So i mounted it all on the bike. and got way too excited. so i just took it out for a spin! Feels very awesome.

There is a bit of a wheel hop. around 40-45mph.  under that it seems ok. Currently im just doing little trips around town to get some miles on the bike and see what else needs attention. But balancing is definitely on the list of things that need attention.
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 10:37:24 AM »

Yeah the wheel hop usually happens around that speed although can occur at any speed (I have had a wheel hop at 70 mph). Once they are balanced it will be a lot smoother ride. Enjoy it!

Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: