New England Honda Guys
August 23, 2017, 05:20:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 750F Problems (Updated w/ Power Outage)  (Read 5266 times)
cabrala

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2013, 10:09:46 PM »

Evening everyone,

I've decided to tackle a few problems with the F tonight, the leaky front master cylinder being top of the list. JT Marks provided the Honda rebuild set and disassembly went smoothly, well that's not entirely true...

There was the unforeseen problem that my snap/lock ring pliers are too short and stubby to fit around the piston and into the dedicated holes of the snap ring. This has halted the process and I am hoping one of my local buddies will have a fix for me, whether it be a trick or the proper tool. You can view the image attached if you haven't a clue what I am saying. The one image shows the snap ring hole clearly in the bottom left, below the piston.

My plan is to check with Advanced Auto or AutoZone tomorrow morning as I'd like to get this taken care of, unless I hear from someone here that can help. It'll be a nice spiritual Sunday of bike repairs...

Cheers,
Alex
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 01:59:51 PM by cabrala » Logged
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 11:09:45 PM »

I have some that may work - welcome to come by in the morning and try them.

cheers
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 11:24:33 PM »

I have some that may work - welcome to come by in the morning and try them.

cheers
Andy

Great! If there is a preferred time please let me know. If not I will be sure to call or text before I head over.
frostypuck
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 07:46:54 AM »

Last time I didnt have the right snap ring pliers to do this, and I ended up using a couple nails and squeezed them like chopsticks. i did have to use a lot of crud remover to get the area clean and debris free.
Good luck,
Chris

Dissension based upon morality is how this country came to be.
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 09:19:23 AM »

Last time I didnt have the right snap ring pliers to do this, and I ended up using a couple nails and squeezed them like chopsticks. i did have to use a lot of crud remover to get the area clean and debris free.
Good luck,
Chris

It's pretty filthy in there so I left it to soak over night. Looks so-so this morning but it'll find its way out. I'll coax  it one way or the other.
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »

Did you resolve the problem? I have a retaining ring pliers that might work. 

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 07:37:41 AM »

Did you resolve the problem? I have a retaining ring pliers that might work. 

Hi Peter,

I did not get it out and have it currently soaking in penetrating fluid in an attempt to loosen the gunk up. I did however completely disassemble my spare using a pick and hook set, but the internal bore had a few scratches so it wasn't as precious; still usable in a pinch but good for practice.

Mike R. offered for me to head to him tomorrow evening to use the factory tools so I believe that's what I'll do. Thank you very much for the offer and one day soon if like to compare what tool you have with mine as it didn't work and neither did Andy's. Damn those specialty tools...
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 07:52:35 AM »

Alright Alex. Sounds good.

Cheers,
Peter

Vreihenmotor6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 11:41:57 AM »

on my F the whole assembly was so rusted and horrible that no amount of nails, ring pliers, or modified ring pliers would get it out. Motion pro makes a set for this use, if I had to do it again I'd buy those

my solution was dropping it off at the local motorcycle shop near my work after everyone in work including the machinist tried to get them out and failed

I think I paid like $10 or so and they got it out, not sure what they did or if I want to know what they did, but it worked the innards were one rusty piece surrounded with rusty goo, it was pretty bad
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 07:43:56 PM »

I bought the Motion Pro pliers off of Amazon for pretty much nothing due to using my Discover card reward cash. I won't have them until the end of the week, but having Mike take a look and pull the ring seems like a lot better of a deal than me waiting to see. I want them in the tool box anyway as I am sure this won't be my last, or anyone else's last (if they work).

I'll test them on my spare m/c when I get them in.
Vreihenmotor6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 09:41:34 AM »

good deal, if you need crush washers I have a butt load of them
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 01:59:04 PM »

Alright everyone, here is a long update pertaining to my 750F woes...

The master cylinder was rebuilt with through the generosity of donated time from Mike and the proper Kowa tools for the job. It took me a week to actually get to re-installing, so yesterday (Saturday) was dedicated to hooking up the m/c, running new stainless lines and bleeding the system. Everything went smoothly until the bleeding portion; the lever did not capture any resistance and the speed bleeder registered an incredibly minimal quantity of fluid. Once I realized my efforts were growing more futile with every passing minute of sunset I found potential refuge in an invite from Andy to use his garage. I would just limp over with a rear brake and have the Scotsman work his magic.

Unfortunately this too was short-lived as I found my bike had no power, and I mean nothing as in nada, zip, zero. The battery was installed fresh off of the tender and is pushing about 12.9V according to my multimeter. Peter stopped by upon hearing of my issues and checked the fuses with me; all within specifications. The only possible problem I could envision was in the process of taking apart the front headlight mount of the F to get to the brake lines. Some of the wires could have lost a connection or been tweaked during manipulation. It was decided over dinner and drinks with Andy and Bethany that I would tackle this potential area first thing this (Sunday) morning.

This morning I got up and disassembled the front end again, pulling the bracket and headlight bucket. I fished through the rat's nest of wires but couldn't find any poor connections there or within junction box near my horn mount. Still no juice; still no idea what happened. Electrical is admittedly not my strong point.

In better news though, I was able to bleed the master cylinder and caliper properly. The m/c needed to be primed, which I did not do initially. My technique was to cover the threaded m/c outlet with my thumb, fill the reservoir with fluid and pump until fluid is pressurized and pushed past my thumb. At that point I hooked all of the lines back up and bled per usual methods (with a speed bleeder). The lever got stiff but I am still tying it back to the grip to allow any air bubbles to raise up to the reservoir.

Send any guidance my way.

Cheers,
Alex
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 07:20:17 PM »

Shit! I wish I could give some guidance...

Vreihenmotor6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 11:47:41 AM »

check to make sure the igniton switch harness on the bottom of the switch didn't get disturbed or broken, its right in the area you were in
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 11:56:08 AM »

check to make sure the igniton switch harness on the bottom of the switch didn't get disturbed or broken, its right in the area you were in

I checked that yesterday and all seemed to attach well. Anders recommended that I check for voltage on the red part of the plug and if 12V then jump black to red and try to start it. I'm not entirely sure of the "correct" way of doing that but I'm going to look it up a bit and give it a go.

I'm thinking that it is something that happened while I was messing around in the front end so the problem has to be there somewhere and the ignition switch is what I'm focusing in on.

Alex
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: