New England Honda Guys
August 23, 2017, 05:18:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 750F Problems (Updated w/ Power Outage)  (Read 5264 times)
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »

check to make sure the igniton switch harness on the bottom of the switch didn't get disturbed or broken, its right in the area you were in

We checked that couple of times, but everything points in that direction. Could it be the ignition itself? Does anyone have a spare ignition?

Oh, I see that Alex has chimed in.

Yes Alex, I think you should follow Anders' advice and try to start it. It has got to be the harness or the ignition.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:59:44 AM by Connito » Logged

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 12:00:16 PM »

We checked that couple of times, but everything points in that direction. Could it be the ignition itself? Does anyone have a spare ignition?

I actually might have one from the spare F bike that I scavenged a bunch of parts off of. I'll look tonight after work.

I also thought that the paperclip trick might have been the test for the ignition, but I wasn't sure if it was capable of doing the by-passing.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:04:37 PM by cabrala » Logged
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 01:20:16 PM »

I was hopping that the paper clip would do the trick but now that Anders says to connect the red and the black, I am not so sure. The only two I didn't connect were the red and the black :Smiley

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
Vreihenmotor6

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 03:19:25 PM »

a decent amperage switch with some 14 gauge wires ending in uninsulated spade terminals is all your need to create your own switch, or forgetting  the switch, some wire with spade terminals to jump the pins
Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 10:17:20 PM »

Does anyone have a spare ignition?

I somehow got the box of ignition switches from Chris a few years ago, maybe it's time to hand it off?
frostypuck
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 08:31:37 PM »

F (and K7, K8) ignition switches are shit. The honda ones go about 75 bucks I think, and it sucks to get at the bolts underneath that hold it in, but its worth it. The Emgo ones you find on ebay will last a little while and are much cheaper.
Chris

Dissension based upon morality is how this country came to be.
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 09:06:13 PM »

F (and K7, K8) ignition switches are shit. The honda ones go about 75 bucks I think, and it sucks to get at the bolts underneath that hold it in, but its worth it. The Emgo ones you find on ebay will last a little while and are much cheaper.
Chris

I've been trying to get home at a reasonable hour in order to test this damn switch, but that has yet to happen. I'd be willing to jump on a good quality Honda switch if it comes down to it. Peter and I were joking that this problem is the reason people say to only fix one thing at a time. There are a lot of questions still to answer.

Thanks for the head's up Chris.
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 02:19:25 PM »

Chris

I've been trying to get home at a reasonable hour in order to test this damn switch, but that has yet to happen. I'd be willing to jump on a good quality Honda switch if it comes down to it. Peter and I were joking that this problem is the reason people say to only fix one thing at a time. There are a lot of questions still to answer.

Thanks for the head's up Chris.

Seriously, stop sucking and fix it already.  Don't make me come over with my hammer and show you how its done   Grin

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 07:29:47 PM »

I'm trying to stop sucking, but it's not working.

I did get home at 5:30 today and whipped out the multimeter as dusk set upon me. I plugged the red lead into the red port of the ignition plug and tied the black lead into the black battery terminal. What I saw on-screen was anything from 7.50V to 9.30V depending on the wiggle I put on the red lead. The battery read 12.88V at all times during this test. I'm assuming that I should have 12V at the ignition plug, but please post your thoughts.

Anders was texting with me back and forth during this troubleshooting session and left me with a few more tests for the morning.

1)He said to pull the fuse box and let him know if there is a green wire. I'm sure there is more to that, but I haven't been made privy as to what that discovery might mean.

2) Run a wire from the black battery terminal to the black port on the ignition plug. Again, I'm not sure what this will do but, "In Anders I Trust".
cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »

No new news on the bike(s). My head has been up my ass lately as well as just being swamped with other "distractions" such as work and a relationship. I've got Anders coming down on Sunday to help fix my problems and more than likely scold me.

If anyone is interested in coming over to point and laugh at my stupid mistakes feel free! But in all seriousness I'm looking forward to getting the 750 sorted and checking the work on my Yamaha voltage regulator.

Cheers,
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 04:23:35 PM »

Good honest update! I like it Wink

Ill try and make it over Sunday to have a laugh  Cool

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 11:39:11 AM »

Ha, and i was planning on heading up to Ander's place on sunday and making him fix a broken cam tensioner bolt.  I guess i will have to try some other time. 

Alex, do you have a 500 head at your place?  I still have that exhaust that i need to try and see what it fits.  I might try to make it over sunday, what time where you two love birds going to get started?

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »

making him fix a broken cam tensioner bolt. 

Jeeze! I spent 10 days with the guy, how does one make him do anything? Well, maybe if you are a cute girl with an extraordinary set of hot coffee cups...
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 01:10:42 PM »

making him fix a broken cam tensioner bolt. 

Jeeze! I spent 10 days with the guy, how does one make him do anything? Well, maybe if you are a cute girl with an extraordinary set of hot coffee cups...

Lots and lots of ice cream  Grin

cabrala

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »

Treeve,

I have a 550 head or two which I think might work for you. I don't recall off-hand whether or not the exhaust outlets are any different across those models. My gut tells me that they are not, but I'll see what I can find for research.

Anders will be down to me around 9-9:30 and we will be tearing through both bikes; the F and the FZR. I've never had any luck making him do anything either, but ice cream, pizza and coffee helps.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: