New England Honda Guys
August 23, 2017, 05:16:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: machine shop around Newton?  (Read 845 times)
lajos

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2015, 09:51:50 AM »

Hello-

I have a broken cylinder stud and I'm at the point where I'm afraid to go any further to leave a chance for it to be extracted in it's remaining one piece. I've welded nuts to it, heated the block and stud around it with a torch, whacked it, vise gripped it, the sucker won't budge. I have about 1/2" left of it. I guess it's time for some torch that can heat it more than MAP gas. Or a tig welder.

Do you guys have a recommendation for a machine shop somewhere not too far from Newton?

Thanks-
Lajos

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 10:04:54 AM »

That stud hole looks like it is not an oil feed/return. If you have to helicoil it, I think it should be ok. The experts on this forum as somebody mentioned are MikeR and Anders288. There used to be the Atlantic machine shop on N. Beacon st in Brighton. The shop I worked for in the early 70's used that guy, but he passed 35 years ago, and I don't know who, if anyone has it now.
I would contact Rick at Harry's in Westborough, or Mike or Anders.

Good luck, looks like you've put some elbow grease in there!
lajos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 06:29:35 PM »

Thanks for the names!
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 07:39:07 AM »

Any luck?
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 09:13:51 AM »

Any luck?

He has a thread going on the main forum.  Looks like he got it out.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,148166.25.html

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
lajos

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 09:20:11 AM »

I got the stud out yesterday! Before I went to s shop I wanted to make sure I tried everything.

At the end I needed more heat.

After working on it for days with no luck, I got a small oxy-mapp torch, welded another washer and nut to it and heated the bolt with the oxy torch to red and heated the case around it with a regular plumbers mapp torch.

On the third try it started turning without any effort. Then I wiggled it back and forth and it just spun out.

Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 05:39:02 PM »

Sweet! Great job. That gasket surface looks nick free too!
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 11:29:09 PM »

great news!
lajos

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 12:07:53 PM »

It was great relief when the stud started turning Wink

There are some small scratches on the gasket area, I'm planning on smoothing it out on a piece of glass with some valve grinding compound. I might add a thin layer of hondabond to the gaskets and then cross fingers for a good seal. Ordered a set of APE heavy duty cylinder studs, but the jugs are being big bored now so I'm stripping paint and cleaning carbs.

Thanks again for the machine shop names, I'll keep them for the future in case I mess something up.
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 02:32:24 PM »

I think building a bike is kind of similar to what a trumpet player, and really nice fellow Alden Griggs once told me when I finished school, and was worrying about getting a gig: "don't spend too much time worrying about it, or the next thing will come along and bite you in the ass. What makes working on bikes so interesting to me is that we are regularly presented with obstacles that require thought and proper decision.  I really like how I feel when I am able to get over a particular obstacle, and keep going.
Best wishes for gliding past future obstacles on your build!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: