New England Honda Guys
September 21, 2017, 03:18:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Non ride Marthas Vineyard Ride Report  (Read 655 times)
knowsnothing

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2015, 03:30:48 PM »

This all started about a month ago when I got the bright idea to bring the 350f with me on vacation.  It will be fun I said.  I will get to explore the lovely twisty roads of the island on 2 wheels i said.  Even though the bike had yet to be really tested, still needed some work to pass inspection and was having some carb issues since switching to the 400f engine and putting on the new exhaust, i figured it was still an A+ brilliant idea. 

I scrambled the week prior to the trip to fix the leaky front brake caliper, rebuild the petcock, and figure out why my taillight was acting strange (defective bulb).  Made plans with Anders to come down Saturday and help with the tuning and timing, then B line it to the inspection place before they closed.   All went according to plan and I had a nicely running, inspected cb375f by 1pm on Saturday.  Anders adjusted the air screws (whoops) and brought a dwell meter and timing light and everything was running tip top on the 5 min rides to and from the inspection place.  The carbs did lean out at higher rpms, need bigger main jets, but i was out of time and could get away with what i had for now. 

Our rental was Monday to Monday, so Sunday night the car was packed, the bike was gased.  I picked up a chain lock and bike cover so no sticky fingered bike thieves could get their mits on my fine tuned thoroughbred while I had to park it outside.  I was ready to go. 

Monday morning woke up and got the road by about 7:30am.  It was still nice a cool and we hit no traffic cruising down to woods hole the catch the ferry.  Make a few pit stops along the way to pick up the mother in law and get some gas.  We make it to the ferry about 30 mins early and manage to get on an earlier boat.  Cars you have to make a reservation in advance but bikes you just show up and they let you on.  There was space and the boat was leaving so i shut the bike off and ran in to get my tickets.  I come back out, the guy is telling me to hurry up, I put on my helmet, turn the key, switch the kill switch, press the start and ....click.  I double check everything, click, click. 

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 03:48:14 PM »

The bike wouldn't start and if you remember, there is interference with the kick starter making it worthless when you put a 400 engine in a 350 frame.  The brake pedal is in the way of the foot peg not letting it fold up which is then in the way of the kicker.  Ahem, fuck! 

So i hung my head and pushed the bike on the ferry.  A little back story,  while Anders was helping me out Saturday he noticed my sweet expensive sealed AGM Motobatt battery. 

A- "You know those are cheap chinese POSes?"
T- "Really? It wasn't that cheap"
A- "Yeah.  They can't handle the vibrations from the bike and will fail.  Happened to Andy."
T- " Huh.  I have never had any issue with it."
A- "I know an american company that makes a good quality one.  I have them in my bikes."
T- "Good to know when I need a new one."

So while sitting on the ferry trying to figure out what to do (see below), i send Anders the obligitory "You fing jinxed me" text. 

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 03:56:36 PM »

The ferry ride is about 40 mins, so i cross my fingers and hope the battery recovers enough to start it when we stop.  If not i will have to resort to Anders reply "Its little, bump start it".  In the meantime, I can't do shit.  I brought ratchets, screw drivers, wrenches, hexs, pliers, chain wax, and even had a pdf of the service manual on my phone.  I could literally build the bike from scratch with what i had.  The one thing i did not pack this trip, a multimeter.  Ahem, fuck!

To kill time i searched for repair places on MV and found 2 pretty close to where we were getting off according to google.  So the plan was to get to one of these shops and try to figure out what is going on.  

The ferry docks and since i was the last one on, I am the last one off.  Turn the key, switch the kill switch, turn on the gas, press the button, hesitation.....then vroom vroom.  Back in business!!  

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 04:12:44 PM »

The heat is starting to pick up and the traffic is horrible right after you get off the ferry, but I make my way to the closet of the repair places.  It doesn't exist.  So before i shut off the bike to look up the other, I park at the top of a little hill.  I found the other place, it was around the corner but in the direction i came from (traffic  Angry ), so I hoped on the bike and just rolled down the hill to bump start it.  Didn't even try the starter to conserve as much battery as possible.  At this point, the bike would try to die on me if i didn't keep it above 2000 rpm, which sucks sitting in traffic.  

I managed to find the other place and it looked like the store was still there, but it was closed. Angry  On the way there i passed a True Value hardware store so i walked in that direction in search of a multimeter and to kill some time.  $30 later i had one and a battery for it and was back in business.  Now it was about 1 pm and was starting to get really hot.  

After i walked back to the bike, i realized in order to put the battery in the meter, I needed to remove 2 screws.  Well all the tools were with Cristina in the car and she was off somewhere else feeding the baby so I was SOL.  Fortunately there was a bicycle shop next door and the guy was nice enough to let me borrow a screw driver.   We chatted a bit about how the past winter was down here and he casual mentioned the scooter shop was closed.  "You know that place is closed right?  The guy that ran it has a new job and doesn't have time to do both". Ahem, fuck!   Angry
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:41:07 PM by knowsnothing » Logged

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 04:24:02 PM »

I thank the guy and head out to my bike to try and do a little trouble shooting.  I check the battery voltage, 11.4.  Thats not good.  No wonder it won't start.  The next thing i wanted to check was if the voltage across battery increased while the bike was on and reving.  I was parked on a flat parking lot so bump starting was the only option.  I have never bump started anything in my lifer before, but i think i saw it on TV once.  I proceeded run with the bike, hop on, and pop the clutch and boom, vroom vroom  Cheesy 

I turned it around and checked the battery with the meter.  The voltage increased to 11.7 when I reved it.  Yay, its the battery so i thought. 

At this point Cristina calls me to see whats going on.  I tell her I am at the second place and its out of business.  She said she couldn't find it but was just down the street at the Black dog tavern, across the street from the Nappa.  The Nappa I say.  Yes the Nappa she says.  Fuck yeah!  Grin  So i hoof it to Nappa to get a replacement battery and to the car for my tool roll.  She also brings me a bottle of water since i am on the verge of heat stroking out.  $60 later, I am back in business!

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 04:36:11 PM »

At this point I am so hot and disgusted with the whole ordeal, I just want to park the bike and set it on fire.  Instead, i fill the battery with acid, swap it in for old one and ta da, the bike starts just fine.  As a precaution, I note the battery voltage before i take off and store the multimeter underneath the seat.  We head in to edgartown for a late lunch.  I was sitting in island traffic most of the way, sweating, stroking out. 

I eventually make it back to the rental house.  I wax the chain, lock it up, and cover for the next few days.  I don't even want to look at the bike at this point.  Between the heat, the traffic, and the battery problems, my desire to ride is gone (plus it was rainy  Tongue).  Anders was still texting me because he was worried the problem was the charging system and not the battery.  So Wednesday I appeased him and went out and checked.  According to the manual (and anders) at 6000rpm the battery termial voltage should be 15 volts.  This was what mine was

Quadruple triple fuck! Angry Angry Angry

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 04:43:09 PM »

Well long story short.  I didn't ride all week because i was worried about being stranded and not making it home.  Anders offered to meet me on the other side of the ferry with the trailer (aww what a nice guy), but I told him I was just going to go for it and if I got stuck, would call a buddy with a pick up truck that was closer than NH.   Sunday I hoped back on the ferry and headed home.  I was making good time until I hit exit 13 on route 3.  Cape traffic!   Angry Angry  So I sat in traffic in the gross heat stroking out until i got to Quincy FUCK!  A shitty end to a shitty trip.

This trip was so miserable that my desire to ride is completely gone.  But on the upside, at least i didn't get skunked.  

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:31:45 AM by knowsnothing » Logged

azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 05:30:46 PM »

The #1 sign of a good ride report is that you feel like you're along for the ride. Your report made me feel like it was my bike that was effing up. I am sorry for your frustration! That being said, I have had some Moto bats that are fine, and others that weren't. I have owned 6 or 7 in different bikes. Have you thought about cutting and welding a kick starter shaft to fit? Might be able to simply add a piece from another one to make a bend around the footpeg/brake setup?

andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 10:18:14 PM »

Treeve so sorry to hear of your electrical woes. I can sympathise as Ive had my fair share of electrical issues over the years. Including breaking down in the middle of nowhere Mexico in the extreme heat so I get your story Wink. Thats a tough one. Lets go for a ride and forget all about it!  Grin Grin

Thanks for writing it up def worth it!
cheers
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 09:13:54 AM »

Fantastic story!

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
Pages: [1]