New England Honda Guys
September 21, 2017, 03:25:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Owl's Head Vintage Motorcycle Festival September 2-3 2017  (Read 108 times)
JBMorse

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:51:40 PM »

http://owlshead.org/events/detail/vintage-motorcycle-meet

Are any of you folks attending this show this year? I have not yet been, but this year I'm going up for the weekend. It's about a 3.5 hours ride for me so I'll be staying overnight.

If you ride a vintage bike admission is free!
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »

I used to go every year. I highly recommend it. Great location as well. I cannot make it this year sorry.

Have a good trip and post some pics!
cheers
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
frostypuck
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 08:52:30 PM »

I used to go every year. I highly recommend it. Great location as well. I cannot make it this year sorry.

Have a good trip and post some pics!
cheers
Andy
Same here I went for several years in a row. Like any show, you tend to see the same things year after year, but this one has by far the most variety and there's other stuff to do while there.
I used to make a whole weekend out of it by staying up north by Bar Harbor and riding down on the sunday, but I would consider a 1 dayride up and back...

Chris
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:55:27 PM by frostypuck » Logged

Dissension based upon morality is how this country came to be.
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 01:40:56 AM »

I flew in one year with a friend, and rode up another. Great show of bikes, cars and planes! I thought I remembered that it was an all inclusive show, but in looking at the website, the plane weekend is seperated, and there are no cars.Ugh fighting one's memory is tiring!

As traffic can be a bit heavy, my suggestion would be to try to schedule travel times so traffic is as light as possible, especially returning,
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:44:59 AM by azure » Logged
JBMorse

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 07:26:14 PM »

Thanks guys, it will be a fun weekend for sure. I've booked a campsite nearby, right on the ocean, so we can spend the weekend. The plan is to ride up Friday afternoon. I planned a route that avoids RT 1 and most of the coast since I'll be coming from Eastern NH.
There's lots to do before the trip, including mounting my new Avons, chain and sprockets, and 3k mile tuneup. I'm also going to install my vintage Bates saddlebags, which I believe we're for a CB77 so some assemble required Smiley
I'll try to take lots of pictures! Also, I know there are other interesting sites and galleries nearby in Rockland and Camden. It's been a while since I've visited there so it will be fun!
JBMorse

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 08:23:29 PM »

Well it was cold and windy Friday and our departure was delayed a few hours due to work, but the trip was a success and the show was a ton of fun! We arrived Friday night at our nearby campsite, set up camp, and nestled in to stay warm. Saturday was great weather and we spent most of the day at the museum. Then we explored nearby Friendship and Waldoboro where I have some family history. Sunday morning we saw the most beautiful sunrise before packing up and heading out to avoid the rain.

Friday afternoon, finally heading out from NH. Notice my "new to me" Bates saddlebags, which I believe are actually for a CB77.

Our campsite:

I parked next to my bike's little brother, a CB400F with dual discs.

Japan was well represented:

This person "fixed" a Virago nicely.

British bikes

Many of these bikes were riders.

Maybe my favorite. I'd never seen a 3 cylinder Laverda in person.

There were many BMWs, especially airheads but a number of K bikes on display. I think the German section had the most bikes.

Some of the old cars were demonstrated.

I love these old pedal cars. Had one as a kid. Start em young Smiley

It was cool to see another '71 CB500. This one was in much better shape than mine. The owner was looking for a Honda tech to do some maintenance.

I love old Porsches!

A lovely 1970. I didn't meet this fellow.

Can't remember what this was called, RC 1.....  something. It was a 4 cylinder. I LOVE old Honda multi cylinder race bikes. I wish they were demonstrating this one!

The museum guy says this crazy thing with wicker seats was the lap of luxury in the 20s.

There were a number of 850 Guzzis of this era present, but this one stood out to me. Somebody's daily rider and it sounded beautiful.

In addition to these awesome machines, there was an Ariel Square Four in that group.

My grandfather painted a painting of this dock more than 50 years ago. I'm not a painter but here's a photo...

You guys were right, this show is lots of fun! And the surrounding area is beautiful. I love the quiet little villages that dot the coast. I think I'll attend again next year!
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 08:31:43 PM »

Wow! Great photos and reminds me what a cool show it is to go to. I really liked the campsite Wink Very cool. The virago was really well done - very nice and Id have loved to have seen the Laverda in person. All great photos so thank you very much for posting!

I may even join you next year if I can!
cheers
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
Robbo22

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 11:41:29 AM »

Thanks for posting the photos.  Looks like a great event!  Love the coast of Maine.

Rob
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 05:24:24 PM »

Thanks so much for the great reportage and cool photos! I have also never seen a Laverda 1200cc bike and will do a litrle research on it. What is that Virago frame, very cool!

Thanks again!
Ben
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: