New England Honda Guys
October 18, 2017, 04:27:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aftermarket starter trouble  (Read 2635 times)
Matt
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 11:14:05 AM »

Yes it runs to the solenoid. I have a new clutch cable in it, but it ran after I had put that on. I am not a wiring guy so I may have to get some one to take a look at it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Matt
lazyguy400F

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 11:28:35 AM »

Does the engine turn freely? just wondering if it's been sitting awhile and not too eager to spin...and are other electrics working now that the starter's in?

75 400Four- not quite as shiny as when I got it new...

'10 Guzzi V7 Cafe- wicked shiny!! wooo hooo!
Matt
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 11:45:25 AM »

The starter does not work when it is in the bike, but it does when I test it out side of the bike.
S-Dog
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 01:00:26 PM »

The only thing I can think of that would make any sense at all is some kind of grounding issue. 

1981 Honda GL500 Silverwing

frostypuck
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 04:35:24 PM »

You can short the two solenoid posts together quickly and get the starter to turn. Use a screwdriver with an insulated handle to touch both posts. If the starter turns, problem is in the solenoid itself or the button. Also, make sure the little wires to the solenoid are tight. Those are black/white and something I can't think of right now. Maybe red/yellow?
Chris

Dissension based upon morality is how this country came to be.
frostypuck
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 04:37:49 PM »

Just thought of something else... if your clutch lever has the little plasticy piece sticking out with two wires, find where the ends of the wires go and attach them together, that's part of the safety switch. If you've done extensive wiring mods to the bike, or changed clutch perches, those wires need to be attended to.
Chris

Dissension based upon morality is how this country came to be.
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 04:46:04 PM »

+ on the starter solenoid. These are more likely to go bad than the stock starter motor. Not sure how you have wired your solenoid up or what harness you are using on the bike (pre-73 harness wont have the starter-safety switch set-up but post-73 does - you can tell by looking for a red fuse block at the battery end of the harness - this is the starter safety switch)....anyway back to the solenoid itself - these DO go bad. Ive had one go on the K2 and suffered the same issue as you - i..e wont start but will "click" when starter button is pressed.

As Chris said check the wiring to it first. Red/yellow wire goes to +ve end of battery and black wire on the other solenoid turret goes into harness I think -ah is connected to the starter! So best to check this connection first. Also check ground connection to -ve end of battery.  Black wire that is ground against left hand side of frame. Make sure all connections are good.

Good luck,
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
Matt
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 05:17:36 PM »

Thanks again guys. The selenoid is brand new and works fine when the starter is out side of its box, it is only when I put in the box does it not work. I am going to work on it over the weekend. The poblem with me is I am not a wiring guy and I know nothing about it. It is hard to believe I put tis thing together but I did. I will figure it out sooner or later.

Matt
Matt
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 11:59:47 AM »

Smiley Thanks for all the helpfyl words guys. I took another look at the bike and had a break through. I adjusted the clutch cable and made sure it was in neutral, the starter is now working. Just waitng for a small tank cross over vavle and she will be back together. I hope to get her on the road soon.

Matt
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: