New England Honda Guys
May 23, 2017, 01:06:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: 99 cent special, a CB/CM400 build  (Read 23852 times)
Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2009, 04:24:46 PM »

I went downstairs just now to see if the CB400t engine I brought home last tuesday was still stuck, I got it on ebay for 99 cents and I wasn't really expecting to free it up soon.
I did however notice while pouring some mystery oil into the sparkplug holes that the pistons were near top dead center, so the rest of the bore should probably be pretty clean once I break it free.
Today the kicker still seemed stuck, and with the engine on the floor there wasn't much leverage to use it anyway.
I popped off the alternator cover which was only 5 equal length screws (with no oil behind the cover) and turned the crank by the rotor bolt using just a 17mm box end wrench.
It turned right away with no effort, I thought I'd broken the bolt loose!  What a pleasant surprise when I noticed mystery oil squirting out both plug holes as the pistons came back up!

Not a bad deal after all.
-Alan
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:54:12 PM by Alan F. » Logged
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 04:27:57 PM »

Oh I forgot to mention, tomorrow a friend and I are picking up a CM400 partsbike from a craigslist seller 2 or 3 towns over for $40 with a bill of sale. 
-Alan
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 08:29:05 PM »

Excellent deal Alan! Keep us posted.

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 08:58:15 PM »

I was looking at the Inspiration Gallery on the sohc4 forums, this white tracker caught my eye, and I've always liked the paintwork on the 70's honda dirtbike tanks too.
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:56:52 AM »

My vote goes to the first one, but who gives a damn what I think!

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 10:46:40 PM »

Yeah Peter that white one's got a cool style about it.
Tonight I got the Partsbike home, it's an 81 CM400C.  The frame is in good shape, comstars are pretty good, forks are in great shape too.
Carbs are frozen, seatcover is nice, but the pan is a little crunchy with rust around the edges.
The electrical system seems complete too. The tank is trash, but the seller threw in an older Honda twin tank that will clean up well enough.

Here's a couple pics.
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 10:50:25 PM »

And here's the spare tank, anyone know what it's from?  It's got a threaded petcock bung on the right side, it has the crossover tube, and the filler cap is offset to the right side.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:42:41 AM by Alan F. » Logged
robe0531
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 11:13:57 PM »

damn allan looks like it is going to be a fun build
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 12:11:54 AM »

Thanks Rob, I'm hoping it will be.  The trick is to drop some weight from a bike that left the factory with 34hp and weighed in at 408lbs or so. 

I've gotta finish my K3 and this is gonna be a big distraction once I've got it titled.

I've been looking around on ebay and I'm thinking this tank is a 71 or so CB350T, it looks like a CB500 from the same time too, but I don't know if those had the cross over tube underneath...

I just wanna find out what petcock to buy for it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:44:37 AM by Alan F. » Logged
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 09:38:03 AM »

In hopes that this blue tank of mine is an early 70's 350, I just had a look at Gene's Rescued 350 thread right here in this section of the forums.
This blue tank looks allot like that one, Hey Gene could you confirm what I've got?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:41:42 AM by Alan F. » Logged
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 02:30:45 PM »

Hey Alan,
Congrats! Funny that your's has the cap release on the other side from Gene's, but the shape looks similar. Maybe just a different year?
I went looking for a tank bag in Pau today, and may have gotten caught by the camera radar at 180 km/h in a 90 zone. The tickets come in the mail. I'm not looking forward to checking the mail, but I am looking forward to checking your progress!
Keep it coming,
Ben
gene03079

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 04:42:29 PM »

Hey Alan

Looks like you got a great deal. Strip it down and make a racer.

That sure looks like a 350 tank. Did you try a petcock from a 550? The one I use is a 16950-385-703. I think it is made to fit some 250 but it fits and works great.
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 07:00:06 PM »

Funny that your's has the cap release on the other side from Gene's, but the shape looks similar. Maybe just a different year?
Thanks Ben, I've been toying with the idea of a smaller bore bike with a kickstart and just couldn't pass this one up.  The price is certainly right.
I'm not sure I follow about the cap release, Gene's pic has the lockable type and I've got the original style unobtanium one. (that's the first reason I grabbed the tank)
There sure is something about doubling a speed limit that'll either make or break your day.  So did you find a tank bag?
I'm not sure what kind of progress I'll be making, but it is tempting to shirk some responsibility to spend some time on it.
Glad to hear you're having a good time, Fall rides are coming... so ride well.

That sure looks like a 350 tank. Did you try a petcock from a 550? The one I use is a 16950-385-703. I think it is made to fit some 250 but it fits and works great.
Hey Gene, I'm thinking more of some kind of adventure bike or dirt tracker, but the forks are in such nice shape that I'll probably just dump/clean/refill them and keep them for a few miles at least.  It'll probably come out as some kind of a ratbike though.  I'll sell off parts that I won't be using to recoup costs and keep to the original theme. I'll make some custom aluminum bits here and there, and swiss-cheese some other things to drop a few ounces too.
I haven't tried anything for a petcock yet, I'll see if I can find a 16950-385-703 since it's a newer part number and an inconvenient part to have fail...
Thanks Gene, see you at the next fall ride?
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 08:56:48 PM »

That's what I was hoping you'd say concerning the gas cap. Nope, they didn't have a bag I could use, the one I wanted was too large, I couldn't reach the bars with the bag on! Sounds cool about making an adventure bike. Here many of the back roads are tiny and paved back when the romans roamed the countryside. A good handling bike that doesn't mind unexpected gravelly spots, kind of like NH, is a good idea. A lot of hypermotards on the roads here.
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 12:22:28 AM »

I've been doing some research trying to find a set of dual-sport tires for this bike, it turns out that the 250 Nighthawk has the same wheel sizes. An advrider in western Oregon has been adventure riding on one for quite some time. He even posted what tires he's using.
He mentioned somewhere that he got about 7000 miles from the set.
I looked up the best price on the web, I can get them to my door for $95
Not bad.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: