New England Honda Guys
September 24, 2017, 10:43:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
  Print  
Author Topic: 99 cent special, a CB/CM400 build  (Read 26562 times)
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 17, 2014, 10:35:19 PM »

Let us know tomorrow. When are you going to change the chain?

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: June 17, 2014, 11:02:07 PM »

I'll probably change the chain after I get the bike running, engine heat and vibration should help evict some spiders and buggies and such.
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: June 18, 2014, 07:18:22 PM »

Clutch perch/left switch pod is changed out, new battery in, horn works, front and rear brake switches work, i'll still need to sort out my turn signals though...must have something miswired but no smoke or blown fuses luckily.

New fuel line and filter installed, filled with all the gas i had, not new but clean, about a half gallon.
Bike on centerstand, I turned on the petcock, the float bowls filled and gas started to run out the overflow tubes into my catch bottle. (glad I planned ahead)

I turned the ignition on and pressed the start button, it almost caught but only for an instant.
Pulled the choke and gave another try, it fired right up and ran at about 3,000 rpm, I'm gonna have to pull the carbs for a cleaning.
The good news is that after running the bike this way for about 15 minutes off and on, the stuck floats seem to have freed up, no more gas out the overflow lines.

*** And right before I shut it down and put away my tools, it almost seemed that i could start and idle without any choke, just a little extra throttle at startup.
Maybe i just need to pick up some SeaFoam and clean gas?

Anyone think it's worth a try before pulling the carbs?
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 18, 2014, 07:21:26 PM »

I do! Seafoam works well.

Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: June 19, 2014, 01:55:31 PM »

If anyone is following my progress besides Peter P....

Either it was simply the old gas, or the 3 ounces of Seafoam I added to 2 gallons of fresh gas.
The bike fires right up without choke, and idles smoothly although a bit low.
Likely I just need to adjust the pre-stretched throttle cables I put on the other day to bump the idle up to 1200 where it should be.
I'm not inclined to mess with the idle adjustment because I learned when synching the carbs that changing idle would change the synch (at least on this bike it did)

So I'm making adjustments, sorting my turn signals out, and torquing everything before taking it out for a short ride, and hopefully a long ride.
Wish me luck.
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 19, 2014, 01:58:30 PM »

Awesome! Good luck!

Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: June 19, 2014, 05:30:44 PM »

Thanks Peter, I wound up taking the slack out of the "pull" cable, and then just messing with the idle speed knob, It fires right up without choke and revs as it should.

I torqued everything to spec, installed the rear grab bar and horn, and took it for a short ride. It works, but I've got to get those directionals sorted before I try riding it someplace where i can air up the forks and tires.

And it still needs the chain swapped out, and an inspection.

Seeing as it's 5:30 now, I'm probably not riding with you tomorrow. It's a busy weekend with Laconia bike week and all, and I hate getting pulled over....
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 19, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »

Shit, I was hopping you could make it, but I respect your decision! Get it all sorted!

Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: June 19, 2014, 06:42:06 PM »

Hourly update:

Turn signals are sorted, added extra ground wires to the directional stalks (CB750 style) I must have lost the originals, or Honda used the fork ears to ground..... No.....

Came inside to find the gas filler-cover-trap door with the fake lock thingie, and a tire pressure gauge.

Nothing left but swap out the old chain, and figure out if I'm backing out on my previous back-out.
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 19, 2014, 07:31:17 PM »

Looking good.... Don't give up!

Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: June 19, 2014, 11:01:56 PM »

Thanks Peter, I was able to shorten and install the o-ring chain fairly easily using a cheap but not half bad chain breaker I'd picked up at harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-chain-breaker-66488.html I clamped the end of the chain that I didn't plan on keeping in my bench vise, filed the flared pin down to the link plate and simply pressed the pin out, it was effortless to my surprise. Installing an o-ring master link has never been a fun job for me, but I just flipped this tool over and pressed the master side plate on, pressing the side plate over each pin a little at a time, until the clip groove was accessible on both pins, again fairly effortless. Set my chain tension, tightened up the axle and added a new cotter pin. Put the chain guard back in place and gave the rear wheel a spin. knock, knock, knock, knock, knock, knock, the chain is hitting the chainguard. Oh Joy, tomorrow is another day.

Ride well and have a great time Gentlemen and Lady.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:26:44 AM by Alan F. » Logged
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 19, 2014, 11:34:17 PM »

You are sooooo close alan!

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: June 20, 2014, 12:20:53 AM »

Thanks Treeve!
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: June 21, 2014, 12:43:35 AM »

I swapped the offending chaingaurd out in favor of a plastic one from my basket case CB400T, i figured if the chain rubs that one who cares right? It's not gonna knock my master link clip off walking the bike backwards... I had to bore a hole for the front bolt, the rear bolt needed a spacer to keep clearance, but it's on, it's solid enough and the chain doesn't rub one bit. After that I lubed up the chain and went looking for that mirror I removed before swapping out that clutch perch.... it doesn't seem to be around, not sure where I left it.  Defeated by the missing mirror, I went out and bolted my license plate on with button-head allen screws, full metal locknuts and 3/4" wide washers front and back. Hopefully when the neighborhood kids try to steal my plate they'll give up and move on.
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: June 24, 2014, 04:16:39 PM »

Well I finally spotted that missing mirror in the milk crate with my battery stuff and got that bolted back in place. Fired up the bike once more only to hear pssst, pssst, pssst when I give it a rev, sounds like an exhaust gasket or two have gone the way of all good things. Tightening the flanges seemed fruitless, I've got a set of gaskets around here somewhere....
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
  Print  

Jump to: