New England Honda Guys
July 26, 2017, 02:36:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18
  Print  
Author Topic: 99 cent special, a CB/CM400 build  (Read 25480 times)
Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2014, 07:29:22 PM »

No exhaust gaskets found here anywhere, I've ordered up another set that should be here in a few days.  I went out this afternoon to see if this bike's been stolen or vandalized, nope it's right where I left it. I turned on the fuel, whoops, left that turned on but not a drop leaking anywhere thankfully. So I turned the fuel off and fired it up first try, just a little crack of the throttle and some choke just like a real bike.
I ran it good and warmed right up, I found the exh gasket leaks alright, a bad one on the left and 2 little leaks on the right.
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 26, 2014, 10:11:05 PM »

Boy, if exhaust gaskets are the worst problem you have,  you are just about ready to ride. Good job amigo!
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2014, 08:51:56 AM »

Thanks Ben! I'm hopeful that's the only problem, but we'll have to wait and see what happens after a few miles out on the road.
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: August 10, 2014, 08:24:20 PM »

I had some free time finally this afternoon to swap out those exhaust gaskets, then rode down the street on flat tires to air up before heading out for some back road riding.
29 smile filled miles later, the bike and I are home in one piece. Stopped about halfway to turn down the idle which had risen unnoticed until stop signs began appearing...

Snapped a few pictures too.
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 10, 2014, 09:32:41 PM »

Well done Alan! A great day for getting out! Hope to see you and the bike at Sept beer night - shaping up to be a classic  Cool

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2014, 03:27:46 AM »

Congrats Alan, I bet that ride felt pretty darned awesome!
Perseverance pays off! Time to start on the k3?
Connito

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 11, 2014, 08:29:17 AM »

Nice!

“Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: May 14, 2016, 11:14:58 AM »

In the hope of actually having a riding season this year, I've been tinkering with this CM400 again. Last Labor Day all of my overtime seemed to dry up, and so far for the most part the pattern is holding. So while I'm still on call 18/7, I find myself with enough free time that I can probably squeeze in time to ride, but only if I continue the frugal nature of this project.

The largest factor keeping this bike parked is fuel tank rust, I've swapped out the tank for a clean one, uglier outside but it's growing on me. It's got a good in-tank filter, and I'll try to keep the tank full. I'm planning to run sea foam in every tank until the can is empty. Then I'll RedKote the tank and move on.
I've got some exhaust leaks at the bottom end of the head pipes to seal, and one exhaust stud may need to be changed out. Other than that I'll bleed the front brake and touch up the flat-black and I'll be on the road in no time.
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 15, 2016, 02:03:41 PM »

Good luck Alan I hope to see you riding to the next beer night  Cool

CB810K2 road racer
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2016, 08:18:50 AM »

This is what I'm using to seal the joints at the bottom of the headpipes:
https://www.permatex.com/wp-content/uploads/tech_docs/tds/80335.pdf
The difference in fit between the head pipes and the intermediate muffler (crossover chamber) inlets is considerable, about a 3mm gap to fill in. I'd tried using a few sheet metal shims, but it still leaked like an oversized piston ring gap. So after asking a few locals and confirming on the interwebs I decided to give it a try. The savings over the Honda seals will go to insure this bike for the year.

Hopefully today or tomorrow I'll find a sunny afternoon to finish the left side.  Grin

At $7, it's quite a bit more cost effective than the stock exhaust seals from Honda or even in the aftermarket.
I'll report back after a few miles on how well it works and lasts.
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: May 20, 2016, 08:52:17 PM »

I was able to find some time this afternoon to get the left header sealed and back on the bike. During the recommended 30 minutes cure time I aired up the tires and filled the fuel tank with 3-1/2 gallons of fresh gas. At the Forty minute mark I turned on the tap and gave a few seconds for the float bowls to fill....

I turned the key, pressed the start button, and woke that little twin from its winter slumber with a light roar right into a quiet smooth idle. No exhaust leaks, YES! I Win!

Now to find some time to get it out on the road before getting it inspected.
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: June 03, 2016, 12:56:03 AM »

This afternoon I got the 400 inspected, then took a ride down to Rosi to lend a hand for the evening. For an unsorted bike it got me there is fairly good order. But when it was time to hit the road home... that's when it turned pear-shaped. Thumbing the start button yielded a little tick from the solenoid but wouldn't turn the engine. Shorting the solenoid posts did nothing either, so after a quick run thru by Andy, I learned to bump-start a bike. First gear didn't start it, the tire just dragged to a stop. Second gear fired it right up. Having already said my goodbyes I just kept rolling taking care not to stall the thing. About 15 miles from home I had to switch to reserve, at least I think I had to, but it did the trick and that bit of rough running and missing passed and smooth running returned. I got home with 110 miles on the clock, not sure how much gas is still in the tank, but 33 mpg is honestly much less than I'd hoped for.
Once I was safely parked at home I shut the engine off and tried the electric starter just for laughs, it fired right up. Does anyone have any ideas? Will I need to disassemble and clean up the solenoid? Maybe I should just bump-start it more?
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 03, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »

Glad you made it home safely Alan. Do you have one of those cheap EMGO ignition switches? if so try that first.....

CB810K2 road racer
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: June 03, 2016, 09:01:11 PM »

Thanks, all told I felt awkward just riding off like that.

No emgo there, bars and mirrors are I think though. It has the stock switch which was rebuilt by a talented biker friendly locksmith in Wilmington.

When I arrived home it restarted with a simple push of the button, I tried it this evening and it was just as we saw last night. I might think that the vibration and heat from riding loosened things enough to let the solenoid fire, but when cold not so much. I'll try to have a look at it over the weekend and if I can disassemble and clean it, I will before attempting replacement.

I'm still stumped that shorting the two poles with a screwdriver failed to spark, I'm not sure where to go armed with that knowledge. I have some research ahead.

frostypuck
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 04, 2016, 03:31:34 PM »

Fuel issue- The Reserve part of the tank is the lowest point and collects a good bit of crud. Is it possible the petcock is assembled incorrectly so you've been pulling from the bottom thinking it was the main tank?
Also, nearly every Honda of a certain age will develop a crack around the base of the tall pickup tube on the main part of the petcock. This allows junk as well as fuel to flow in so you can drain your tank before ever switching to reserve.
Electrical issue- A bad ignition switch will not allow you to bump start. It prevents 12V from going to the points, so no amount of bump starting will help.
Check the connections at the starter motor and at the start switch and at the solenoid first. All likely culprits.

Dissension based upon morality is how this country came to be.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18
  Print  

Jump to: