New England Honda Guys
September 21, 2017, 03:33:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Still Riding?  (Read 5188 times)
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 12:26:18 PM »

I'm going to go out for a short one in an hour or so. Have to keep the motor pool running, don't you know.
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 12:47:35 PM »

I just checked and its warmed up by 8F!! So it should be fine now...according to Boston.com Temp = 19F (real feel 8F).

Have a good ride and take some pics ;-)

cheers
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2010, 04:38:03 PM »

Well, all I ended up doing was starting everything except the Sv650 which has been hard to start for a while. I wore down the battery and will have to pull the carbs. I am going to get rid of the vacuum fuel feed and see if I can't replace it with a gravity feed set up. Anyway I realized that I had no current registration on any of the bikes, so I went online and renewed but got no confirmation as it's Sunday probably.
Anyway the long and short was that I didn't go anywhere except in my dreams. Maybe later this week!
UnCrash

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2010, 08:47:56 AM »

How does riding on ice work?  I'm thinking of an old and light weight (relatively) CL350 for short winter commutes...

Your driveway would make me mighty nervous Andy!

Where there's a will there's a way
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2010, 11:38:06 AM »

How does riding on ice work?  I'm thinking of an old and light weight (relatively) CL350 for short winter commutes...

Your driveway would make me mighty nervous Andy!

You put some studs in your tires. There is a guy in NH who rides his VStrom with studded tires on ice/snow covered roads (and quite fast as well).

I put some sand on the icy spots so I should be ok...if not then thats why I have the sidebags on ;-). Rode to work this morning...real feel 9F...much better than yesterday. Was also wearing different gloves - EMS Mountaineering gloves with goretex...a little more room inside them and fingertips werent cold until right at the end and even then it wasnt too bad (unlike the pins/needles yesterday ;-)).

cheers
Andy

CB810K2 road racer
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2010, 08:21:33 PM »

I got a call at 11.20am today from Mike R to come over and take the head off my engine that I and Chris had dropped off last week. No problem I thought a chance to test my gear against the cold.  And test my new E-Z pass which I had in my pocket because it wouldnt stick to the fairing.

Starting temp was 19F - After about 15 min my hands (inside Marmot Winter gloves with heated packets - however the heated packets were old and didnt work  Undecided) were cold and despite moving my fingers a lot didnt get any warmer...on the Mass Pike I was flying...I took exit 12 thinking Id go down Winter Street off route 9 and miss Framingham center...no such luck as I couldnt find Winter St and ended up on Rt 9 to Natick Mall stuck in traffic...then more traffic as I entered Framingham center...sigh...

..anyway by the time I got to Mikes my finger tips were frozen and it took a good 5 min before they were not cold. The rest of me was fine though, so the RevIt trousers and Hein Gericke jacket did the job.

I meant to leave earlier but we ran into a problem after a stud was snapped off at the base and Mike spent the next 1.5 hrs drilling it out - it was very stuck! Left at 6.20pm - temp was 16F. This time the new heated packets worked a charm on the back of my hands. Toasty...at least for 20 min.

Lots of traffic on Rt 9 but somehow I managed to get round it  Wink Temp rose to a balmy 18F (handy this on-bike thermometer) Got home at 6.50pm...hands were still good....and better yet ML had made some homemade curry mmmmmmmm that warmed me up  Wink ....I reckon if I had heated grips I would have no problem with this distance or longer.

**BIG thanks to Mike for a very enjoyable afternoon ripping engines apart - and seeing how to remove snapped studs!! Great stuff! Thanks Mike!

cheers
Andy

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:09:13 PM by andy750 » Logged

CB810K2 road racer
frostypuck
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2010, 11:18:39 PM »

Nice. Might you have done better in the Scott gloves?
Chris

Dissension based upon morality is how this country came to be.
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2010, 07:27:41 AM »

Nice. Might you have done better in the Scott gloves?
Chris

No the Marmot gloves are the best winter gloves I have. No protection though (mountaineering gloves). I think it was more just being stationary in the cold. The heated packet hand warmers did help.

CB810K2 road racer
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2010, 08:12:17 AM »

Heated grips do make a difference, but draw a fair amount of current. I'm not sure they will work on the CB.
Glad you had fun with Mike, although I'm sure extracting the stud was not great fun for Mr. R.
Today's my day, but I know i'll get home early as I really don't give a rat's ass about football!
frostypuck
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2010, 10:34:51 AM »

Heated grips would never work for a long time on the CB, but he's talking about the Strom, which has 155 spare watts to power accessories. The heated gloves draw I think around 35 watts, but with the adjusters, I've heard you can turn the heat way down after a bit.
Now, Gerbings has batt pack heated gloves which can be plugged in or run off their own rechargeables...
http://www.gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/hybridGlove.html
The beneficial part of heated gloved is that the wire element runs up and back along each individual finger, back of the hand and palm, rather than just the palm, as the grips do.
On the other hand, all the stroms come pre-wired for heated grips, it's just plug-and-play.
Can you tell i've been researching this lately?
Chris

Dissension based upon morality is how this country came to be.
Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2010, 12:45:28 PM »

Heated grips would never work for a long time on the CB...

Andy are you considering the CB750A charging system for your RTW bike?  I forget just how much extra output it supplies, but it's in the neighborhood of 150W.
Could be handy for extra lighting.
-A
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2010, 08:34:29 PM »

The CB750 dosent need extra electrical outputs such as heated grips as 1) I have hippo hands that fit it and work well enough and 2) where I am going I wont need heated anything...and even if I was somewhere on the cold side it wont be as cold as here this winter so not a problem. Ill be using stock CB750 charging system...only thing Ill change is the fuse block - convert it to car blade fuses. Ive also been thinking about the starter solenoid and rectifier but they have not been a problem so may leave them as is....we`ll see....

cheers
Andy

CB810K2 road racer
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »

Glad you had fun with Mike, although I'm sure extracting the stud was not great fun for Mr. R.
Today's my day, but I know i'll get home early as I really don't give a rat's ass about football!

How did it go today Ben? Make some progress?

cheers
Andy

CB810K2 road racer
UnCrash

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2010, 02:54:54 PM »

It's been so nice and dry here that I pulled the 919's battery out of my basement (trickle charging) and put it in. 

I was a "moron in a hurry" and hooked the battery up backwards. Zap.

Found the master fuse and replaced it.

Fired her up and had a nice ride in. 

Where there's a will there's a way
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2010, 07:51:15 PM »

I think having a blip like that only counts against you if you can't get out. You might even get a point or two for repairing the problem and keeping on. Glad you got out, I'm hoping for Sunday!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: