New England Honda Guys
July 23, 2017, 06:40:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Worth it??  (Read 8147 times)
knowsnothing

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2010, 11:00:11 AM »

I have run across a parts bike for my '78 750k and am wondering if I am a dumb or thrifty.  Its been tarped for 20+ years.  No keys, no title, $200. 

Its the blue one, '77 750K. 

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:18:26 AM by knowsnothing » Logged

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:12:40 AM »

I also posted on the main forum.  So if you answered over there ignore here. 

andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »

Id say its worth $200 in parts alone. And depending on mileage the engine should be solid - the 77/78 has strong engines.

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
frostypuck
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:27:57 PM »

I would say you can't go wrong with that price. You should be able to sell the aftermarket parts if you wanted, or just transfer them to your '78 and have a decent tourer.
Chris

Dissension based upon morality is how this country came to be.
Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 02:06:44 PM »

Yup, jump on that one.
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 02:18:13 PM »

Thanks guys.  I have been convinced, its going to hopefully happen Sunday (as long as my friend with a truck doesn't go skiing again Angry).  I will probably be getting rid of the stuff i wouldn't be using (read touring stuff) so just keep that in mind.  I will post again after i have gotten it home and given it a once over to see what is there, but I would rather keep things in the "family" than ebay it or whatnot. 

Best,

Treeve

Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:37:43 PM »

I've got a 78 top triple if you need one btw.
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 05:43:42 PM »

I've got a 78 top triple if you need one btw.

Thanks Alan.  When i decide what i want to do with it, i may be in touch.

knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 10:09:37 AM »

Quick Update: 

The deal just keeps getting better.  I payed the $5 to get a VIN history for this bike in an attempt to find the last titled owner.   I wanted to try to convince them to sign some forms to replace the lost title and then sign it over to me (on my dime of course).  The bike was last registered in 92 and I had the name of guy to whom it was registered.

I found his number (the internet is an amazing thing) and gave him a call.  He seemed nice and was more that willing to the sign the papers I needed.  I thought awesome.  No more than 45 mins later, he calls me back and says its my lucky day and that he found the title for the bike and was going to mail it to me.   It arrived yesterday  Grin!!!  Now i just need to figure out a way to thank him. 

In conclusion, $205 for a titled almost complete bike with an engine that turns.  Not a bad score in my book.  Now to just get the thing running........

Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 10:29:18 AM »

That's awesome, he must have really loved that bike to be so cool about things with you.

So what's the plan?  Costom job, ugly rolling restoration, or full tear down and freshen/paint/reassemble?

-Alan

I just looked at the pics again, looks like it's still got the fork ears in place.  Any chance it's still got the headlight bucket and directionals under there too?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:31:38 AM by Alan F. » Logged
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 11:15:55 AM »

That's awesome, he must have really loved that bike to be so cool about things with you.

So what's the plan?  Costom job, ugly rolling restoration, or full tear down and freshen/paint/reassemble?

-Alan

I just looked at the pics again, looks like it's still got the fork ears in place.  Any chance it's still got the headlight bucket and directionals under there too?

Hey Alan,

The plan was to steal parts when needed, but now that its titled i am not sure.  I am thinking of maybe just getting it running and enjoy it this summer in its antiqued state while my "good" 78 is in full tear down mode (its going slower than i expected, typical from what i have seen on the boards haha).  The parts bike only has about 13k miles compared to the 30k+ on the good bike.

Good eyes, it does still have the fork ears, but the bucket, headlight, front and rear directionals, ignition, top triple, front caliper and throttle controls are all missing.  Plus, the wiring harness is a mess (i think it might have had a security system or something, have yet to figure out what the mysterious box does) and both the front and rear suspension were air powered and will need to be altered/replaced.  Also, someone broke the petcock nipple off when they removed the tank.  The bit is still in the gas line......

On the upside, the tank is very clean inside, exhaust seems to be intact and everything else seems to be in really good shape.  Ironically i might borrow parts from the "good" bike while it is apart getting painted/powdercoated and the top end gone through.  So i can have something to ride this summer. 

Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 11:54:24 AM »

Sounds good, please keep me in mind if you decide you'd rather just sell of the titled frame and keep the parts.
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 12:06:53 PM »

Alan, you need a frame??
Alan F.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 12:12:49 PM »

I'm thinking that if I were unable to title Peter's 'other' 750 that a titled frame would easily do the trick. Besides an extra titled frame is always good to have around if the price and timing are right.
knowsnothing

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 12:46:51 PM »

Hey Alan,

If i do end up getting rid of it, you will be first in line. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: