New England Honda Guys
September 25, 2017, 11:45:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris and Alan's trip to the End of the World  (Read 568 times)
frostypuck
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2010, 02:46:14 PM »

Today, Alan and I rode south thru cranberry country, and across to Duxbury. The point of the trip today was to simply see if there was access to the Myles Standish Monument. I had never been, so after follwing Rte.106 for 60 miles or so, we reached the entrance to the monument. Myles was the military leader of the Plymouth (Plimoth, Plymouthe) Colony. the monument stands atop Captain's Hill. The top is accessible by a hundred-something steps. Because of this elevation, it is often possible to see to Blue Hills, and Provincetown.
Apparently, the Puritan ideals of overcoming adversity, and democratization don't extend to the State of Mass. keeping their parks open during the "winter"
The closest we could get was a yuppy cul-de-sac, since the entrance to the park was barred.

The ride to Dux was nice enough, especially once we were past the Bridgewaters. Fairly empty roads were the norm.

After seeing the monument from a distance, I decided to try to get to the island we could see on the map. We went over Powderpoint Bridge, which is a wooden bridge over the bay, and according to the sign, is 2237 feet long.

Once on the otherside, we found that what looked like roads on the gps, was in fact sand. I was going to attempt to ride across, figuring the $250 fine would be worth it, but the sand was too loose and deep.

We headed back to Dux centre, had lunch, then headed up 3A taking a couple of detours that put us next to the various harbors along the way, and returned to home.
My r/t distance was about 110 miles, the high temp along the way was 49, with a low of just about 38.
Next weekend should be warmer.

Dissension based upon morality is how this country came to be.
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »

Very cool (literally and photo-wise) - very good trip report and looks like you both had a good ride! We went home via the blue hills  - not quite the same as you two but good nonetheless.

cheers
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 03:58:39 PM »

Thanks Chris, That looked cool. I've never been down that far down 106. I've heard that there's good riding in and around Marshfield and Pembrooke as well.

I didn't get very far on my bike today as we went down to a little fishing village on the Spanish coast called Getaria, maybe 30 or 40 minutes south of San Sebastian, on the coast. Both really great places. I took photos and will post them so you can see what I'm talking about.

All best to you guys,
Ben

Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 04:08:05 PM »

I'm still warming back up since I was geared for a warmer day... After our lunch stop the temps were easily bearble and the sun was bright and shining strong.  
This ride should be great for an early start on a warm day, with plenty of shade at the monument and lots of wind by the water.
Thanks for leading the way Chris, it was a nice trip.  I ended the day with 183 miles covered.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: