New England Honda Guys
October 18, 2017, 04:26:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's a couple of photos from some neat places around here  (Read 788 times)
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2010, 07:02:38 PM »

Hi!
We went down the Spanish coast to a little fishing village in Spain called Getaria yesterday for lunch. It's about 30 minutes west on the coast from San Sebastian, which is about 75 minutes from our place here. I've posted a couple of photos of both places. San Sebastian is kind of like the Biarritz of northern Spain. It's a fairly urbane and chic city, but it's also a coastal spot with a large beach right in the center of town.

The coastal road that follows the bay of Biscay stays close to the water in some places and then dodges inland for a bit. Martha and I are talking about going down to Santiago de Campostela with some friends next week to do some bicycling. If the weather's good I will ride down there and meet everybody. It's about 710 km from San Seb along the coast road. Anyway here's a couple of photos:
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 07:24:57 PM »

Here's a couple of other photos from closer to home that I took today while I was out noodling around. I've also posted a sign from northern Spain where everything is written in Basque and Spanish, sort of like Quebec except I can't understand either language very well.

There's still a lot of snow in the mountains although the trees are all blooming and everything's pretty green. Most of the fields have had their  last year's crop( mostly corn) cut down, and some are plowed under already for this year's planting. It's been in the low 40's at night and as much as 75 to 80 during the day. Due to the close proximity to the Pyrenee mountains, the clouds roll in and out frequently, and it's not unusual to have a day that starts cloudy, gets nice in the afternoon, then rains like the dickens at night. The back roads are pretty tight and they can be pretty dirty with stones and animal crap etc. While the road surface sometimes looks rough on the back roads, there are no pot holes and they feel pretty good. I've gotten better at following the little roads and ending up dead ending at someone's farm, but it's pretty easy to do. The department roads( secondary roads similar to rt 27 or 109) are always clean and while the speed limit is usually 90kph(~55mph) one can judiciously double that every once in a while.

I have to get some new rear brake pads tomorrow, but at 35 euros($50.) I wish I could hold out until I get back to the states where they sell for about half that price. The inside pad is really worn almost to the backing plate though.  It's expensive here, about $20-25. to fill the bike up and hard to get out of the market with less than 60-70 bucks worth of groceries for the two of us, although a fair amount of that is for wine. Grin

Hope everybody is doing well,
Ben

andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 10:25:47 PM »

Nice photos Ben particularly the last one with the bike and winding country road. Also very useful info on groceries and gas prices - what type of gas are you putting in?

Have fun!
cheers
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
Alan F.
Global Moderator

Miles away from everything

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:02:18 PM »

Thanks for sharing the adventure Ben, have a great stay.
-Alan
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 02:22:48 AM »

Thanks Guys,

Andy, I'm using the 98, and I guess I could be using the 95 octane rating(different rating system here)
but it's only .2 centimes more: best price: 1.35 e/litre vs 1.37. It still comes out to about $8. per gallon. Cheaper in Spain by about 20 centimes per litre=~$7.20 per U.S. gal
mick750F
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 01:28:30 AM »

Hey Ben...If you're not too busy while riding about the countryside could you try to keep an eye out for a nice French or Spanish or yes even a Basque woman...maybe even preferably Basque...yeah, right...that wouldn't mind settling down with an American guy that probably thinks a lot more on European levels than US? There's a lot about Glostah that I like but the hunting grounds here are nothing short of pitiful. Anytime I visit my old stompin' grounds ...Harvard Square...I feel like I've died and gone to heaven except that all of the candy is now somehow in an inaccessible glass case.

In the words of the immortal Homer J. Simpson..."Help me Jebus! That's his name right, Jebus?" Maybe I should just go back to the Square...It has always been a short term success story there...especially out of the Plough. If I went in thinkin' long term....

Oh crap...I just hung out a bunch of laundry... Embarrassed Embarrassed Wink Cheesy Cheesy

Mike

Mike
azure
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 02:04:46 AM »

I feel like I've died and gone to heaven except that all of the candy is now somehow in an inaccessible glass case.

Mike

That is priceless!
All I can say is come on over and check it out for yerself. People are friendly here, so it's possible to hook up. I will leave it up to you to consider which country of origin offers you the sweetest taste.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: