New England Honda Guys
August 22, 2017, 04:42:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cam chain to tight?  (Read 760 times)
Matt
« on: May 07, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »

I think I have the starter and electrical  issues solved. However I treid to start the bike before replaceing the tensioner, when I realized it. I replaced it, but it seemed to go in harder. Now when I shut the bike down, I get a twang sounds, like a sound. Should I take the tensioner out and try an loosen it?
andy750
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:16:22 AM »

Hi Matt,

I was wondering how you were doing with the electrics so glad to hear you are getting it sorted out. As for the camchain tensioner I am assuming you mean the unit that slots into the rear of the engine under the carbs and held by 3x 10 mm bolts? If so I just replaced mine at the weekend. This is what you have to do....

1. Take off points cover and rotate engine to 15 degrees past TDC (1, 4) and check that #1 is open (some freeplay in #1 rocker arm (you need to take the tappet cover off #1 for this).
2. NOW adjust the camchain tension bolt by releasing the 10 mm locknut nut on the camchain tensioner unit under the carbs.
3. Tighten up the 10 mm bolt.

Thats it.

If you think you have installed the camchain tension unit incorrectly then after step 1 remove the 3 bolts holding the tensioner unit in place and remove the tensioner unit. This time hen installing make sure the U-shaped head is vertical (see a pic of it online or in your manual). Install unit pre-sprung. Tighten the 3 bolts. And then follow steps 2 and 3 again.

Should be good to go at this point.

good luck
Andy

CB750K4 (long distance bike)
CB810K2 road racer
DL1000 2003 - ice breaker
Matt
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:17:19 AM »

Thanks Andy, I am trying to get this thing ridable for the Brit show on the 26th. I don't have a truck or a trailer and I would prefer to ride it anyway. I will let you know how this works. Thanks again

Matt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: